Thursday, June 25, 2015

Antichrist's Adoration (Rev. 13:4)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/25/2015 9:19 AM

My Worship Time                                                                            Focus:  Antichrist’s Adoration

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Revelation 13:4

            Message of the verse:  “they worshiped the dragon because he gave his authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, "Who is like the beast, and who is able to wage war with him?"”

            I thought that it would be a good idea to give you the definition of the word “beast” as found in my Greek/English dictionary that I have on my Online Bible program:  “1) an animal 2) a wild animal, wild beast, beast 3) metaph. a brutal, bestial man, savage, ferocious.”  I think that the last definition fits the Antichrist.

            As the world around us gets smaller and smaller, that is because of the theology that seems to be growing by the day, and as global problems seem to also grow very rapidly, the world is ripe for a dictator, and Antichrist will be the one that will fulfill this role.  We see in verse four that the world’s fascination with Antichrist will quickly turn to the worship of him.  Verse four says that Satan is the one being worshiped but we know also that his Antichrist will also be worshiped in a similar way that Nebuchadnezzar was worshiped as seen in the third chapter of the book of Daniel when they made a great statute of him and all had to bow down and worship him.  Let us look at 2 Thessalonians 2:4 “who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.”  This is what Paul wrote about the Antichrist and it is believed that this will happen during or just past the midpoint of the Tribulation Period.  Now just like in Nebuchadnezzar’s time with the statute if people did not bow down and worship him they would be killed, (now we know the rest of the story of those who did not worship him as seen in Daniel chapter three).  John MacArthur writes “Antichrist will seek adoration; not content with respect, he will require reverence; not content with being hailed and heralded, he will demand to be worshiped.  And those who ‘did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved’ (2 Thess. 2:10) will be deceived into worshiping him.  That deception will be fostered by the Antichrist’s associate, the false prophet, who ‘makes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast [Antichrist], whose fatal wound was healed’ (Rev. 12:12).

            So we see the role of Antichrist changed from the time he first came on the scene.  Did it change on his own or because Satan caused it to change by having him possessed with a powerful demon.  Was he kind of like Judas whom Satan used to betray Jesus?  My guess is that he had aspirations of leading the world in his own mind and then when Satan has him possessed by the powerful demon he enjoys the power given to him.  When I think of Antichrist I sometimes think of a verse where Jesus states “"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? (Matthew 16:26).”  This is exactly what will happen to Antichrist.

            As I stated the people of the earth will not only worship the Antichrist but they will also be worshiping Satan, now I don’t know if they will be doing this willingly or unwittingly, but they will be worshiping the devil one way or the other.  Satan worship is something that has grown over the years so it may be that they will know what they are doing, but perhaps some will not realize that is what they are doing.  Paul writes in 1 Corn. 10:20 “The things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons and not to God.”  These people believed they were worshiping a god to whom they were sacrificing things to were actually worshiping demons.  So it will be with the unbelievers in the Tribulation period who are worshiping the Antichrist.

            As we look at the end of verse four we read “Who is like the beast, and who is able to wage war with him?"”  Let’s look at the first of the Ten Commandments “2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. 3 "You shall have no other gods before Me. 4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 5 “You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.”  I suppose what we see with the unbelievers in the Tribulation Period is the blind leading the blind.  Now as far as the question in the last part of verse four we know who it is who will wage war against him and also defeat him, and that is the Lord Jesus Christ.  However I don’t think that the people who are saying this are talking about the Lord defeating him but other political leaders who will be taken out if they try and defeat him.  The question is meant to be a rhetorical question.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  It is easy to get taken advantage of if you are not careful in this world.  Most every day I ask the Lord for wisdom and my prayer goes like this:  “Wisdom:  I Pray that the Lord will give our pastors, and myself wisdom in all of the decisions that we have to make today.  Proverbs 3:5-6 says “5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”   “I’m putting on the belt of truth.  I ask You to make it very clear to me what I am to accept into my life and what I am to reject.  Help me to see clearly the motives of others as they deal with me and converse with me.  Let me walk in Your truth, making decisions and choices according to Your plans and purposes for my life.”  The quote comes from a book I read written by Charles Stanley.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I am struggling with a problem that came up yesterday and I need wisdom from the Lord to care for it.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace, good will toward men” (Luke 2:14).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘How can these things be’?”

Answer in our next SD.

6/25/2015 10:03 AM

   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment