Thursday, June 4, 2015

Ingratitude (Hosea 2:5b-9)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/4/2015 10:13 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                            Focus:  Ingratitude

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                       Reference:  Hosea 2:5b-9

            Message of the verses:  “She who conceived them has acted shamefully. For she said, ’I will go after my lovers, Who give me my bread and my water, My wool and my flax, my oil and my drink.’  6 "Therefore, behold, I will hedge up her way with thorns, And I will build a wall against her so that she cannot find her paths. 7 “She will pursue her lovers, but she will not overtake them; And she will seek them, but will not find them. Then she will say, ’I will go back to my first husband, For it was better for me then than now!’ 8 "For she does not know that it was I who gave her the grain, the new wine and the oil, And lavished on her silver and gold, Which they used for Baal. 9 “Therefore, I will take back My grain at harvest time And My new wine in its season. I will also take away My wool and My flax Given to cover her nakedness.”

            Ingratitude is a sin that to me ranks up there with pride as being the most difficult to overcome.  Ingratitude means that we don’t have the time or the inclination to say a simple thanks to the God who has given us all things, and pride tells us that we have done this for ourselves and that is one of the reasons that I rank them together as being hard to overcome.  We may pray for something for a long time and then God answers our prayer, and yet we may be so happy for the answer that we forget to even give thanks to the Lord for His provision of that answered prayer.  Israel surely had this problem and with them I believe that pride went along with it too.  It was God who chose them and brought them out of slavery from the land of Egypt with a great and powerful hand, and yet because of their hardheartedness they began to worship idols, even while Moses was on the mountain of God getting the commandments from Him.  This was surely a sign of things to come for what we read in the book of Hosea happened many hundreds of years later, and yet the problem was still the same, ingratitude for the things that God had given them and thus they desired to worship idols breaking the first commandment that God gave Moses on the mountain of God.

            Dr. Wiersbe writes about this ingratitude “What ingratitude!  God provided rain for the land (Deut. 11:8-17), but the Israelites gave the credit to Baal, the rain god.  Because it is God who gives us power to earn wealth (*:17-18), and enjoy the blessings of life (1 Tim. 6:17), we must thank Him and acknowledge His goodness.  What wickedness it is to take the gifts of God and use them to worship false gods!”

            It was only through the grace of God that He did not abandon His chosen people, and He even blocked their paths and confuse their plans in order for them not to stumble on their way.  God was going to take back the gifts He gave to them and even this was in love so that they would have a change of heart and go back to the Lord who loved them.

            Dr. Wiersbe concludes this section by giving his readers some good advice.  “It’s remarkable how many times God’s people are admonished in Scripture to be thankful.  I’ve noted at least fifteen places where we’re commanded to ‘give thanks to the Lord,’ and Psalm 100:4 and Colossians 3:15 both admonish us to be thankful.  Both Jesus and Paul set the example by giving thanks often to the Lord for His blessings.  One of the first steps toward rebellion against God is a refusal to give God thanks for His mercies (Rom. 1:21).  God will not allow us to enjoy His gifts and at the same time ignore the Giver, for this is the essence of idolatry.”

6/4/2015 10:35 AM  

No comments:

Post a Comment