Saturday, October 21, 2017

Intro to Productivity (Acts 5:22-42)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/21/2017 9:08 AM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  Intro to Productivity

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 5:33-42

            Message of the verses:  “33 But when they heard this, they were cut to the quick and intended to kill them. 34 But a Pharisee named Gamaliel, a teacher of the Law, respected by all the people, stood up in the Council and gave orders to put the men outside for a short time. 35 And he said to them, "Men of Israel, take care what you propose to do with these men. 36 “For some time ago Theudas rose up, claiming to be somebody, and a group of about four hundred men joined up with him. But he was killed, and all who followed him were dispersed and came to nothing. 37 “After this man, Judas of Galilee rose up in the days of the census and drew away some people after him; he too perished, and all those who followed him were scattered. 38  "So in the present case, I say to you, stay away from these men and let them alone, for if this plan or action is of men, it will be overthrown; 39  but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them; or else you may even be found fighting against God." 40 They took his advice; and after calling the apostles in, they flogged them and ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and then released them. 41 So they went on their way from the presence of the Council, rejoicing that they had been considered worthy to suffer shame for His name. 42 And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they kept right on teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.”

            Since we are following the outline in the commentary of John MacArthur in these Spiritual Diaries I wanted to brief you on what we will be looking at in the upcoming Spiritual Diaries.  This very long portion of Scripture, at least longer than we are use to be looking at, will actually finish up chapter five in the book of Acts.  I mentioned in the “focus” portion that this is an introduction to these verses as there are what I like to refer to as “sub-points” that appear under this main point of “Productivity.”  We will be looking at “Violent Hostility,” “Tolerant Indecision,” and “Saving Acceptance” in the days to come with the second sub-point of “Tolerant Indecision” taking up the most time to look at.  I have said a lot of times the statement “this is one of my favorite portions of Scripture” and when we look at the Pharisee name Gamaliel and how he handled this situation here it is a favorite section to me.  Gamaliel as we will learn was the teacher of Saul of Tarsus who became the great apostle Paul and the second section of the book of Acts which speaks of the ministry to the Gentiles, Paul is the main human character.  The Holy Spirit is probably the main character in the book of Acts as some have called this book the “Acts of the Holy Spirit,” and that is something that I cannot disagree with.

            The following is a quote from John MacArthur as he introduces this last main point from his commentary to us:  “The concluding verses of this chapter give the productive results of the evangelism of the pure, powerful, persecuted, persistent church.  Although to some it was brief, Peter’s sermon to the Sanhedrin was powerful and convicting.  He charged them with rejecting and executing their Messiah, and hence being in rebellion against God.  He did not play on their emotions or soften the confrontation, but presented the truth.  Conviction that leads to salvation can only take place when the Spirit of God (cf. John 16:7-11) uses the facts of the Word of God to produce repentance in a person’s heart and mind.

            “To convicting preaching there are but three possible reactions:  violent hostility, tolerant indecision, or saving acceptance.  This passage illustrates them all.” 

            I wanted to take the time to quote John 16:7-11 as was mentioned in this quote:  “7  "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. 8  "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; 9  concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10  and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; 11  and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful for the Holy Spirit as He is probably the most unheralded Person of the trinity.  I am thankful for the effectual call that He gave to me for salvation, I am thankful for the fact that He dwells in me, I am thankful for the fact that He teaches me from His Word, and I am thankful for, and perhaps mostly thankful for His longsuffering with me.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord that what I teach in our Sunday school class tomorrow will be useful for the cause of Christ and bring glory to Him, and I trust that the Spirit of God will lead me in my teaching of the introduction to the seven churches found in Revelation 2-3.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Ester” (Ester 2:8-9).

 Today’s Bible question:  “What Hebrew measurement was the distance from the elbow to the end of the middle finger (about 18 inches)?”

Answer in our next SD.

10/21/2017 9:34 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment