Sunday, October 29, 2017

PT-4 "The Reason (Acts 6:1-2, 4)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/29/2017 6:39 PM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  PT-4 “The Reason”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 6:1-2, 4

            Message of the verses: “1 Now at this time while the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint arose on the part of the Hellenistic Jews against the native Hebrews, because their widows were being overlooked in the daily serving of food. 2 So the twelve summoned the congregation of the disciples and said, "It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to serve tables…4 “But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word."”

            We have been talking about pray and Bible study or Prayer and the Word of God.  When unbelievers pick up a Bible and try to understand what they are reading it is impossible for them to completely understand what they read in it because it takes the Holy Spirit to be in a life so that He can help us understand what He wrote, for the Word of God was written by the Holy Spirit using men to communicate exactly what He wanted them to write.  As believers we need to pray before we study the Word of God so that the Spirit of God will open our eyes so we can understand what He wants us to understand.  Sometimes when we pray and read the Word we will see verses that seem to jump off the page to us even though we probably have read them many times before.  Verse four was the verse that spoke to my heart in our study from yesterday’s Spiritual Diary and I was convicted to make renewed effort to speak to the Lord in a more intense way before I read His Word.

            We want to look at a section from Acts 20:18b-21 to see that Paul served as an appropriate model of the commitment to the Word to which the ministry demands.  “"You yourselves know, from the first day that I set foot in Asia, how I was with you the whole time, 19 serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which came upon me through the plots of the Jews; 20 how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you publicly and from house to house, 21 solemnly testifying to both Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.”  This statement could have only been made because of Paul’s commitment to prayer and the study of God’s Word.

            Now as we look at the following verses from 1 Corinthians 9:16-17, and 26-27 we will be able to see how Paul expressed his personal philosophy of ministry:  “16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel. 17 For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me….26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.”

            John MacArthur concludes “From his dramatic conversation on the Damascus Road to the day a Roman executioner ended his life, Paul gave himself totally to the ministry.  There is no other way.  Every minister of Jesus Christ must give heed to Paul’s exhortation to Timothy:

“11 Prescribe and teach these things. 12 Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe. 13 Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching. 14 Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you, which was bestowed on you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery. 15 Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress will be evident to all.”

“The devotion that Pau demanded to his young protégé is the same devotion the Lord Jesus Christ demands of all who serve Him.”

Answer from yesterday’s Bible question:  “God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit” (1 John 5:7).

Today’s Bible question:  “How many years did the children of Israel sojourn in Egypt?”

Answer in our next SD.

  10/29/2017 7:05 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment