Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Fervency in Speaking (Acts 9:20-22)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/3/2018 7:51 AM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus: Fervency in Speaking

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 9:20-22

            Message of the verses:  20 and immediately he began to proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, saying, "He is the Son of God." 21 All those hearing him continued to be amazed, and were saying, "Is this not he who in Jerusalem destroyed those who called on this name, and who had come here for the purpose of bringing them bound before the chief priests?" 22 But Saul kept increasing in strength and confounding the Jews who lived at Damascus by proving that this Jesus is the Christ.”

            I remember soon after I got saved that I began to talk to a friend of mine about what happened to me and how I became a believer, and he was not the only one that I spoke to about salvation.  I know that once I became a believer that I had all kinds of questions as to what happened to me and so after I told him about his need for salvation I ask him if he had any questions.  He told me no, that he was not interested at all.  Later on I had the opportunity to lead his wife to the Lord and I believe that she was the first person that I led to the Lord.  My point is that just like Paul began to proclaim Jesus so most people that you lead to the Lord desire to do also.

            When Saul began to talk about the things of Christ in the synagogue, telling those there that Jesus is the Son of God they were amazed because of what had happened to Saul as he was to bring those who believed that Jesus is the Son of God back to Jerusalem in chains.  MacArthur writes “From the beginning he felt that courageous compulsion that later caused him to exclaim, ‘Woe is me if I do not preach the gospel’ (1 Cor. 9:16).”

            Saul went into the very synagogues that he was supposed to bring warrants for the arrest of Christians to preach the good news of Jesus Christ.  What he was preaching was that Jesus is the Son of God, which is a title for our Lord that speaks of His deity.  “31 The Jews picked up stones again to stone Him. 32 Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" 33 The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God." 34 Jesus answered them, "Has it not been written in your Law, ’I SAID, YOU ARE GODS’? 35 “If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ’You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ’I am the Son of God’? (John 10:31-36).”

            What happened to Saul of Tarsus is amazing as his preaching produced something that is inconceivable for us because of his background.  He was the most zealous defender of Judaism and now he becomes the most zealous evangelist for Christianity.  So it is not surprisingly, “All those hearing him continued to be amazed, and were saying, "Is this not he who in Jerusalem destroyed those who called on this name, and who had come here for the purpose of bringing them bound before the chief priests?’”  They could not comprehend this drastic change that came over Saul. 

            One of the problems that the people in the Synagogue had and people today have is that they think that people just come to the conclusion themselves that they are in need of changing things in their life and so people think that true believers can just conjure up the strength to bring about a drastic change like that happened to Saul.  This is totally a false way of looking at this as what people need to understand that all people born into this world are born spiritually dead, which makes it impossible to do anything that will cause them to be right with God on their own.  We can go back to my friend who is an undertaker who deals with dead people all of the time and although it is possible for him to talk to these dead people he will never get a response from them because they are dead.  What happened to Saul and everyone who has ever been born-again is that the Holy Spirit of God give them an effectual call, a call to salvation, a call that they cannot say no to, and then the Spirit of God brings about a miracle in their lives as they see their need to repent and come to Christ as their Savior and Lord.  We have the responsibility to say yes to that call, but in reality we cannot say no to the effectual call that the Spirit gives to us.  Look once again at Ephesians 2:8-9 “8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.”  8 For it is by grace that you are saved, through faith. This does not depend on anything you have achieved, it is the free gift of God; 9 and because it is not earned no man can boast about it (Phillips).”

            John MacArthur writes “Far from wilting under the pressure of confusion turning into hostility, ‘Saul kept increasing in strength and confounding the Jews who lived at Damascus by proving that this Jesus is the Christ.’  Like Stephen before him, he met the Jews in open debate about the deity and messiahship of Jesus.  Saving faith ‘comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ’ (Rom. 10:17).”

            When one understand Saul’s background that he had the finest education first-century Judaism could offer, it is no wonder that he was “confounding the Jews” in this dialogue.  Saul spent his early life studying all about Judaism, but the problem is that while studying this he could not truly understand it because he was spiritually dead at the time, but not that the Spirit has made him alive the things that he had studied were finally opened up to him and he could see the truth about the Messiah, and the truth that Jesus is the Messiah. 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I think that sometimes after you have been a believer for a long time you kind of stop telling others about the Lord, you kind of go through stages where you don’t have the desire you had when you first became a believer.  This never seemed to happen to Saul who became Paul, and my prayer is that I never stop having the desire to see others come to the Lord.  I have been praying for my 100 year old Father-in-law ever since I became a believer back in 1974 and my wife, along with my daughter, and also myself have finally seen some differences in his life that give us hope that he is now a believer and we can certainly praise the Lord for that.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  “but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; (1 Peter 3:15).”

Memory verses:  Psalm 143:10 “Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground.”  Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “The Word of God” (Luke 8:11).

Today’s Bible question:  “What did Jesus advise if one should kill another?

Answer in our next SD.

1/3/2018 8:41 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment