Saturday, January 20, 2018

PT-2 The Submissive Will (Acts 10:23b-33)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/20/2018 10:32 AM

My Worship Time                                                                             Focus:  PT-2 Submissive Will

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 10:23b-33

            Message of the verses:  “And on the next day he got up and went away with them, and some of the brethren from Joppa accompanied him. 24 On the following day he entered Caesarea. Now Cornelius was waiting for them and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25 When Peter entered, Cornelius met him, and fell at his feet and worshiped him. 26 But Peter raised him up, saying, "Stand up; I too am just a man." 27 As he talked with him, he entered and found many people assembled. 28 And he said to them, "You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a man who is a Jew to associate with a foreigner or to visit him; and yet God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean. 29 “That is why I came without even raising any objection when I was sent for. So I ask for what reason you have sent for me." 30 Cornelius said, "Four days ago to this hour, I was praying in my house during the ninth hour; and behold, a man stood before me in shining garments, 31 and he said, ’Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your alms have been remembered before God. 32 ’Therefore send to Joppa and invite Simon, who is also called Peter, to come to you; he is staying at the house of Simon the tanner by the sea.’ 33 “So I sent for you immediately, and you have been kind enough to come. Now then, we are all here present before God to hear all that you have been commanded by the Lord.’”

            When Peter was preaching his sermon on the Day of Pentecost a portion of it was from the prophet Joel and Joel spoke of young men seeing visions, which is what happened to Peter the day before, and so because of that vision Peter had no trouble in following these men.  This may seem like an insignificant decision of Peter’s part but it will become important later in the story.

            John MacArthur writes “After spending the night en route, ‘on the following day’ they ‘entered Caesarea.’  Two worlds were about to collide, as seven devout, orthodox Jews were about to meet a houseful of eager Gentiles.  A milestone in the history of the church had been reached.”  Perhaps as one reads over this for the umpteenth time you don’t take the time to stop and realize the significance of this is, but just think if this had not happened and then perhaps you will better understand how great this was.

            Cornelius was eagerly waiting for the men to return, and I suppose that this seemed like years to him as he awaited word from a man whom he had never met.  Cornelius decides to bow before Peter who quickly explains that he was just a man and only God is to be worshiped.  John did similar things to angels as found in the book of Revelation and was told by them that He was only to worship the Lord.

            I am not sure how many people Peter thought he would find, but there was quite a few people at the house of Cornelius to hear what he had to say.  Peter begins by telling those there that it was not lawful for him to be in that house of any Gentile.  I suppose that those there probably knew this truth, but they did not care at this point they just wanted to hear him speak. 

            Cornelius’ reaction was to repeat the vision that he had seen four days earlier “"Four days ago to this hour, I was praying in my house during the ninth hour; and behold, a man stood before me in shining garments, 31 and he said, ’Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your alms have been remembered before God. 32 ’Therefore send to Joppa and invite Simon, who is also called Peter, to come to you; he is staying at the house of Simon the tanner by the sea.’ 33 “So I sent for you immediately, and you have been kind enough to come. Now then, we are all here present before God to hear all that you have been commanded by the Lord.’”  John MacArthur writes “The soldier uses a military term prostasso (commanded), referring to a military order.  He understood that when the Lord spoke it was a command demanding obedience.  He was ready to receive his orders from the Lord.”

            We conclude this SD as we understand that both Peter and Cornelius both had sovereignly prepared by God and had responded obediently to His directions.  Everyone was ready for Peter’s presentation of the gospel which we will look at in our next SD.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I think back at what was happening to me almost 44 years ago as I study this portion of the book of Acts.  God through His Spirit had prepared me to hear the gospel message for which I am every thankful.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  My prayer is that the Lord will continue to give me opportunities to tell others the good news of the gospel.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Herod” (Matthew 2:8).

Today’s Bible question:  “From what country did Sarah’s maid, Hager, come?”

Answer in our next SD.

1/20/2018 11:02 AM   

No comments:

Post a Comment