Thursday, January 4, 2018

PT-1 Fearlessness in Suffering (Acts 9:23-31)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/4/2018 11:12 AM

My Worship Time                                                                        Focus:  Fearlessness in Suffering

My Worship Time                                                                              Reference:  Acts 9:23-31

            Message of the verses:  “23 When many days had elapsed, the Jews plotted together to do away with him, 24 but their plot became known to Saul. They were also watching the gates day and night so that they might put him to death; 25 but his disciples took him by night and let him down through an opening in the wall, lowering him in a large basket. 26 When he came to Jerusalem, he was trying to associate with the disciples; but they were all afraid of him, not believing that he was a disciple. 27 But Barnabas took hold of him and brought him to the apostles and described to them how he had seen the Lord on the road, and that He had talked to him, and how at Damascus he had spoken out boldly in the name of Jesus. 28 And he was with them, moving about freely in Jerusalem, speaking out boldly in the name of the Lord. 29 And he was talking and arguing with the Hellenistic Jews; but they were attempting to put him to death. 30 But when the brethren learned of it, they brought him down to Caesarea and sent him away to Tarsus. 31 So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria enjoyed peace, being built up; and going on in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it continued to increase.”

            Sometimes it is difficult to understand the exact timeline of Saul’s life.  Luke states “when many days had elapsed,” and this marks out a time period that we really don’t know how long it is, and so we will look at the book of Galatians.  “15 But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased 16 to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus. 18 Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas, and stayed with him fifteen days (Gal. 1:15-18).”  So when we look at verses 22-23 we can conclude that three years elapsed between these verses.  MacArthur adds “It is implied that Saul spent those years learning from the Lord in the kingdom of Nabatean Arabia. (This is an area not to be confused with the territory of modern Arabia, but located from nearby Damascus south to the Sinai Peninsula.  Some historians say that a colony of Nabateans lived in Damascus.)  He returned and began preaching in Damascus more powerfully than ever, thoroughly exasperating the Jews who ‘plotted together to do away with him.’  In God’s providence, ‘their plot became known to Saul.’  He noted in 2 Corinthians 11:32 that ‘in Damascus the ethnarch under Aretas the king was guarding the city of Damascenes in order to seize me.’  Apparently the Jews were not the only ones Saul had irritated.  During his three years in Nabatean Arabia, he had thoroughly preached the gospel and had worn out his welcome with both the Jews and Arabs.”

            As I stated at the beginning of this SD it is difficult for me to completely understand the timeline, but it looks like Saul left Damascus shortly after he had become a believer and then went to the land where he was from, Tarsus, and that is where it seems to me from reading other portions of Scripture that the Lord had taught him what He wanted him to know.  After than it seems to me that he went back to Damascus where he was talking and arguing with the Jews who then wanted to kill him and that is when he was let down in a large basket and went to Jerusalem where he stayed there fifteen days according to Galatians 1:18.  Perhaps this timeline is not all that important, but it has always been something that I have been interested in.

            The disciples in Jerusalem were not willing to talk to Saul, but we learn that finally Barnabas, the one who was called “The Son of Encouragement)” told the disciples what had happened to Saul on the road to Damascus and that the Lord had talked to him, and we know also that Saul did see the Lord there too.  After the highly regarded Barnabas vouch for him Saul was then finally accepted.  We will continue looking at the remaining verses in our next SD.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have to believe that God has a timeline planned for me as He does for all believers.  I have to believe that part of that timeline happened almost 44 years ago when the Lord spoke to my heart with an effectual call from the Holy Spirit on Jan. 26, 1974 while visiting a friend in Florida.  I have to admit that there are sometimes when I think about the fact that I have lived in our house for going on 41 years that I wished that I would have moved, but then things happen when I realize that the Lord still has me here for a purpose, and my prayer is that that purpose is because of our new neighbors who just moved in a short time ago and are in need of coming to know the Lord. 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Keep on trusting the Lord as He surely has a timeline for me in order to do the things that He wants me to do.

Memory verses:  Psalm 143:10 “Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground.”  Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “He shall be in danger of judgment” (Matthew 5:21).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said, ‘Whatsoever thou shall ask of me, I give it thee, unto the half of my kingdom?”

Answer in our next SD.

1/4/2018 11:53 AM

           

No comments:

Post a Comment