Sunday, July 1, 2018

PT-2 "Giving" (Acts 20:1b-2a)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/1/2018 6:21 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                         Focus:  PT-2 “Giving”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 20:1b-2a

            Message of the verses:  “he departed to go to Macedonia.  And when he had gone through those districts”

            We have been talking about Paul going to collect money for the poor saints at Jerusalem, and doing this was very important to Paul as I mentioned briefly in our last SD that Paul wanted to see the Jews and the Gentiles in the church to become one because the Lord Jesus Christ died for both and the prejudices between them need to end because they were all one in Christ.  Paul had a great love for all of the saints, and we know that he had gotten over any prejudices that he had before he had become a believer.  One of the things that believers are to do is to remember the poor and help them out when they could which is what Paul wanted the Gentile churches to do for not only was there a famine in Jerusalem, but there was also persecution going on for those poor saints.

            When we get to the 24th chapter of Acts we will see Paul getting to Jerusalem after being warned by many saints not to go there, but Paul had a mission to bring the money to those who were in need in Jerusalem.  After being there for a few days the Jews tried to kill Paul because they believed that he was doing things contrary to the Law of Moses, which of course was not true. 

            John MacArthur writes about Paul’s great love for the church as “it was expressed by sacrificial giving.  The apostle John expressed the inseparable link between giving and loving in 1 John 3:16-18:

‘16 We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has the world’s goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? 18 Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.’”

            As we think about Paul’s love for the churches we know that it was genuine for Paul had a very difficult life, that is if you think about it in human ways, for we read the following things that Paul reluctantly wrote about himself in 2 Corinthians 11:22-33. “22  Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they descendants of Abraham? So am I. 23 Are they servants of Christ?-I speak as if insane-I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. 24 Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. 26 I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; 27 I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. 28 Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches. 29 Who is weak without my being weak? Who is led into sin without my intense concern? 30 If I have to boast, I will boast of what pertains to my weakness. 31 The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, He who is blessed forever, knows that I am not lying. 32 In Damascus the ethnarch under Aretas the king was guarding the city of the Damascenes in order to seize me, 33 and I was let down in a basket through a window in the wall, and so escaped his hands.”  When one thinks about what Paul went through they have to come to the conclusion that it was because of his love for the church that he did the things that he did which was actually a fulfillment of what God told Ananias in Acts 9:13-16: “13  But Ananias answered, "Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he did to Your saints at Jerusalem; 14 and here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name." 15 But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel; 16 for I will show him how much he must suffer for My name’s sake." 

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “David” (2 Samuel 5:19).

Today’s Bible question:  “Where did the author of Ecclesiastes say he was king?”

Answer in our next SD.

7/1/2018 6:49 AM
           

No comments:

Post a Comment