Monday, July 9, 2018

PT-3 "Toward God-Service" (Acts 20:19)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/9/2018 10:10 AM

My Worship Time                                                      Focus: PT-3 “Toward God—Service”  

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 20:19

            Message of the verses:  “19 serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which came upon me through the plots of the Jews;”

            In our last SD we ended by saying that we would begin this SD by talking about three things that moved Paul to tears.  The first thing that brought tears to him was that he grieved over the state of the lost.  Romans 9:2-3 says “2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh.”  I think that Paul’s grief was over the lostness of the Jewish people, and he would go on to talk about all of the benefits that they had including the fact that God chose them to write the Scriptures, and also that the Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ came through the Jewish people.

            Next Paul cried over weak, struggling, sinning Christians as seen in what he wrote to the Corinthians in 2 Corinthians 2:4 “  For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote to you with many tears; not so that you would be made sorrowful, but that you might know the love which I have especially for you.”  The church at Corinth as a church that experienced many problems, and I suppose that one of the reasons is the environment that they lived in, as it was a very sinful place to live.

            The third thing that made Paul cry was the terrible, sinister threat posed by false teachers that he will speak about to the Ephesian church leaders in verses 29-30 of this 20th chapter of Acts:  “29 “I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; 30 and from among your own selves men will arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them.”  Paul’s prediction would certainly come true as many years later the Lord Jesus Christ in the second chapter of Revelation would say that the church at Ephesus had lost their first love, which was the first thing in a downward spiral that is seen in four more of the churches that He wrote to.  Paul also wrote to the Philippian church in Phil. 3:18 “For many walk, of whom I often told you, and now tell you even weeping, that they are enemies of the cross of Christ.”  In the United States of America we have many who are enemies of the cross of Jesus Christ as seen by the great division found in our country today, a division that is divided between right and wrong.

            John MacArthur concludes “But the tears of a servant of God are not in vain.  The psalmist wrote in Psalm 126:6, ‘He who goes to and fro weeping, carrying his bag of seed, shall indeed come again with a shout of joy, bringing his sheaves with him.’  To those with caring, compassionate hearts, who faithfully spread the precious seed of the Word, God promises a rich spiritual reward.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  There is a man who lives behind us who just saw his wife die of cancer a few weeks ago.  It is my desire to sow the seeds of salvation in his heart in order to help him go through the process of mourning, and to one day be with the Lord in heaven.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to help me prepare my Sunday school lesson for this up-coming week.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Adam” (Genesis 3:12).

Today’s Bible question:  “In what country was Eglon king?”

Answer in our next SD.

7/9/2018 10:30 AM   

           

No comments:

Post a Comment