Friday, December 21, 2018

"Salvation is With a Purpose" from Ephesians 2:6-7


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/21/2018 10:57 AM



My Worship Time                                                                Focus:  “Salvation is With a Purpose”



Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Ephesians 2:6-7



            Message of the verses:  6 and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.”



            I suppose that it is true that when a person becomes a believer in Jesus Christ that he realizes that he has been saved from his sins and not belongs to Christ, but the question what is the purpose of our salvation to God.  How does our salvation affect God?  Perhaps you have never thought about this question let alone the answer to it, I don’t remember if I had or not, but the question comes up in this section of Ephesians, and the answer too.  John MacArthur writes “The most immediate and direct result of salvation is to be ‘raised up with Him, and [to be] seated with Him in the heavenly places.’  Not only are de dead to sin and alive to righteousness through His resurrection in which we are raised, but we also enjoy His exaltation and share in His preeminent glory.”  This small section of Ephesians “seated us with Him in the heavenly” has always been somewhat of a mystery to me, but now the light is beginning to come on for me as I realize that this has to do with what my salvation does for God. 



            I read the commentaries that I read as I study the Bible to help me to understand what the Word of God is saying, and since I have had trouble with this section I want to see exactly what MacArthur’s commentary has to say about this so that I can understand it better.  He writes “When Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead His first instruction was, ‘Un bind him, and let him go’ (John 11:44).  A living person cannot function while wrapped in the trappings of death.  Because our new citizenship through Christ is in heaven (Phil. 3:20), God seats us ‘with Him in the heavenly places, in Christ Jesus.  We are no longer of this present world or in its sphere of sinfulness and rebellion.  We have been rescued from spiritual death, and given spiritual life in order to be ‘in Christ Jesus’ and to be ‘with Him in the heavenly places.’  Here, as in 1:3, ‘heavenly places’ refers to the supernatural sphere where God rules, though in 6:12 it refers to the supernatural sphere where Satan rules.”



            He goes on to write “The Greek verb behind ‘seated’ is in the aorist tense and emphasizes the absoluteness of this promise by speaking of it as if it had already fully taken place.  Even though we are not yet inheritors of all that God has for us in Christ, to be in ‘the heavenly places’ is to be in God’s domain instead of Satan’s, to be in the sphere of Spiritual life instead of the sphere of spiritual death.  That is where our blessings are and where we have fellowship with the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit and with all the saints who have gone before us and will go after us.  That is where all of our commands come from and where all our praise and petitions go.  And some day we will receive the ‘inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for [us]’ (1 Peter 1:4).”



            I really am not that comfortable of for the majority of this SD to quote this much, but as mentioned this section of Scripture has been a great problem to me in order to understand it and this section from MacArthur’s commentary has been very uplifting to me and therefore I want it to be uplifting to all that read it. 



            “He goes on to conclude his commentary on these verses by writing “The phrase ‘in order that’ indicates that the purpose of our being exalted to the supernatural sphere of God’s preserve and power is that we may forever be blessed.  But it is not only for our benefit and glory.  God’s greater purpose in salvation is for His own sake, ‘in order that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.’  That, too, is obviously for our benefit, but it is first of all for God’s, because it displays for all eternity ‘the surpassing riches of His grace’ (cf. 3:10).  Through His endless ‘kindness toward us in Christ Jesus’ the Father glorifies Himself even as He blesses us.  From the moment of salvation throughout ‘the ages to come’ we never stop receiving the ‘grace’ and ‘kindness’ of God.  ‘The ages to come’ is different from the age to come in 1:21 and refers to eternity.  He glorifies Himself by eternally blessing us with ‘every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ’ (1:3) and by bestowing on us His endless and limitless ‘grace’ and ‘kindness’.  The whole of heaven will glorify Him because of what He has done for us (Rev. 7:10-12).”



            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Realizing that the salvation that I have as being a gift of God will bring glory to Him is something that truly blesses God is great and wonderful news to me.  I think that as my wife pointed out that I have known this before as she mentioned the wedding supper of the Lamb which will happen in heaven when we will be given as a gift from the Father to the Son and then laying are crowns down to give to the Son makes me realize that my salvation will be a blessing to my Lord.



My Steps of Faith for Today:  To trust the Lord to enable me to better understand what I am to teach this upcoming Sunday in my Sunday school class.



Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Peter” (Matthew 14:28).



Today’s Bible question:  “Of what country was Jehoiachin King?”



Answer in our next SD.



12/21/2018 12:04 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment