Tuesday, June 25, 2019

PT-1 "The Lord's Purposees" (Eph. 5:17)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/25/2019 11:48 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  PT-1 “The Lord’s Purposes”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Ephesians 5:17

 

            Message of the verses:  17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”

 

            As we look at this 17th verse we see that the phrase “do not be foolish” actually reinforces what Paul wrote in verse 15 for believers not to be unwise, and “understand what the will of the Lord is,” and this expands and makes more explicit his plea to walk wisely.

 

            John MacArthur writes “In light of the urgency to make the most of our time, not being ‘foolish’ includes, among other things, not becoming anxious or panicked.  When we look around at the perverseness of evil and at the unending needs for evangelism and service to others in Christ’s name, it is easy to be overwhelmed.  We are tempted either to give up and withdraw or to become hyperactive, losing precision, purpose, and effectiveness in a frenzy of superficial activity.

 

            “The proper sense of urgency, however, drives the wise believer to want more than ever to ‘understand what the will of the Lord is,’ because he knows that only in the Lord’s will and power can anything good and lasting be accomplished.  He will not ‘be foolish’ by running frenetically in every direction trying to see how many programs and projects he can become involved in.  Such activity easily become futile and leads to burnout and discouragement, because it works in the power of the flesh even when it is well-intentioned.  Trying to run ahead of God only puts us further behind in His work.”

 

            As I look at these two paragraphs from MacArthur’s commentary I have to say that I agree with the points that he is making.  There is a fine line in a believer’s life to be doing things in the power of the Spirit and doing things in the flesh.  We can never help God out for He needs no help, but if we are in tune with Him in the Spirit and doing the things that He has planned for us to do from eternity past then we will be doing what He desires us to do.  The flesh is deceptive and so we all must be on guard not to fall prey of the flesh even though at times this can bring pride in our hearts.  Those who have been following my Spiritual Diaries know that I have been thinking about being more humble, and certainly not prideful in my walk with the Lord and in my Spiritual Diary from Psalm 131 which I put onto my other blog this morning I found it was all about humility and pride.  In that Spiritual Diary I found to wonderful quotes from the late Warren Wiersbe who said “We move toward maturity when we honestly accept who we are, understand what we can do, accept both and live for God’s glory.  Rejecting or hating ourselves, fantasizing about ourselves, and envying others are marks of immaturity.”  Next quote “When you accept yourself and your lot and thank God for the way He made you, you do not need to impress people.  They will see your wroth and love you for who you are.”  So when we do things in the power of the flesh we are doing them with pride, but when we are doing things in the power of the Spirit then we are being humble, for after all it is the power of the Spirit who is the One working through us.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I desire to follow the Spirit of God in doing the things that God planned for me to do in eternity past as seen in Ephesians 2:10.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I am thankful for more information that I have learned about humility in my lesson from Psalm 131 and desire to follow what I have learned.

 

Today’s quotation is from Dwight L. Moody who states “If I take care of my character, my reputation will take care of itself.”

 

6/25/2019 12:19 PM

           

No comments:

Post a Comment