Thursday, December 10, 2020

Intro to Fasting without Hypocrisy (Matt. 6:16-18)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/10/2020 10:38 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                      Focus:  Into to “Fasting Without Hypocrisy”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matt. 6:16-18

 

            Message of the verses:  16 "Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17 “But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 “so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.”

 

            I was listening to a sermon that goes along with this section yesterday and found out that when John MacArthur was preaching through Matthew chapters five and six that he skipped the “Lord’s Prayer” and went from the section about giving and praying right to this third area which is fasting.  In these section we find that Jesus gives a corrective to the hypocritical religious practices that typified what the scribes and the Pharisees practices typified at that time.  MacArthur writes “In each case the perversion of God’s standard was caused by the overriding desire to be seen and praised by men (v. 1).

 

            Fasting is something that I have studied for some time now going back to when I retired from my regular job at a foundry that I worked for 34 years.  I was wanting to find out what the Lord’s desire for me after I retired and so I fasted for a week or so trying to find out what God wanted me to do. 

 

            Fasting has been practiced for various reasons throughout history for different reasons; many of those reasons were either religious or health reasons.  In my study I read about a man who actually fasted for 90 days and only had water to drink for that time period.  Needless to say he must have been a lot overweight in order to live off the fat that was in his body to fast that long.

 

            As I listened to MacArthur’s sermon yesterday I had some thoughts that perhaps he did not go into about fasting, and one of them was that even if a person is fasting for a Biblical reason, and we will go into those reasons later on, if a person fasts and only has water for an extended period of time they will benefit in their health too, so not only in their spiritual reason for fasting but in their health too.  When a person fasts they will get rid of many toxins in their body and perhaps a person is fasting to ask God to help them get rid of a sinful problem, so I think you can see that these two go along.

 

            MacArthur writes “The Bible records no teaching or practice of fasting for practical reasons.  Legitimate fasting always had a spiritual purpose ad is never presented as having any value in and of itself.”  Here is where I have to disagree with what MacArthur is saying.  I’m sure that what he is saying about the Bible not stating that fasting is good for physical reasons, there has been much documented evidence in people who have studied fasting to show that it is good for a person physically.

 

            When I was getting ready to do my first fast I was reading in the books of Ezra and Nehemiah who talked about their fasts and this seemed to show me that this was what God wanted me to do.  There are more people in both the Old and New Testaments who have talked about how they fasted including our Lord Jesus Christ.

 

            I will do as I normally do and that is quote the last paragraph from MacArthur’s commentary to help us see the direction that we will be going in.

 

            “Because it is not elsewhere commanded by God, fasting is unlike giving and praying, for which there are many commands in both testaments.  Both the Old and New Testaments speak favorably of fasting and record many instances of fasting by believers.  But except for the yearly fast just mentioned” (Day of Atonement) “it is nowhere required.  Beyond that, fasting is shown to be an entirely noncompulsory, voluntary act, not a spiritual duty to be regularly observed.”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I truly see nothing wrong with something spiritual helping my physical being, and I believe that is the way that God designed it to be.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I trust that the Lord was the One who provided wisdom for those men who wrote the constitution of the United States, and I have to believe that the things that are going on in our country at this time were one of the reasons that God led those brilliant men to write what they wrote.  I trust that the Lord will work this out for our good and for His glory.

 

12/10/2020 11:30 AM

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment