Sunday, December 6, 2020

PT-2 "The Protection of Prayer" (Matt. 6:13-14)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/6/2020 8:37 PM

 

My Worship Time                                                            Focus:  PT-2 “The Protection of Prayer”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                Reference:  Matthew 6:13-14

 

            Message of the verses:  13 And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.”

 

            We continue with the quotations from John MacArthur’s book “Jesus’ Pattern of Prayer.”

 

            “I realize that trials do a perfecting work and also that God does not tempt me, so I am faced with a paradox not unlike the one in Matthew 5 (rejoice when you’re persecuted) and Matthew 10 (flee persecuting).

            “Are we supposed to stand there and rejoice, or run?  There is a sense in which we run from persecution, but when it catches us we can know joy in the midst of it.  Even our dear Lord said, ‘Father, let this cup pass from Me’ (Mark 14:36).  There was something in His humanness that did not want that suffering.  Yet He endured the cross for the joy that was set before Him (Hebrews 12:2).

            “I pray this because I know I am a sinner, because I sense my debt and have gone through the pain of confession so many times.  I am battered and bruised by a fallen world around me that continues to bump me.  So I ask, ‘God, deliver me from these things.’  But I accept the fact that such struggles strengthen me.

            “I don’t know about you, but I have to set a watchman over my eyes, another over my ears, another over my tongue.  I have to be careful where I go and what I see and whom I talk to (and about what) because I don’t trust myself.  And when I get into a trying situation, I rush into the presence of God like the sentry who doesn’t fight the enemy himself but runs to tell the commander.  I retreat to the presence of God and I say, ‘I will be overwhelmed unless You come to my aid.’

            “The kingdom child realizes that he lives in a fallen world that pounds against him with temptations he can never resist in his own humanness.

            The natural world is fallen.  Men face volcanoes, earthquakes, fires, floods, pestilence, accidents, disease and death.

            The intellectual world is fallen.  Man’s judgments are partial and unfair.  He careens on in the chaos of relativistic thinking to an inevitable destruction.  Propelled by his own bias, logic is ruled by pride.  Intellects are ruled by lust. Material gain makes liars out of me.  There is a constant colliding of human opinions.

            The emotional world is fallen.  Grief and care and anxiety rule.  The inability to handle attitudes shrivels man’s spirit.  His soul is chafed by the rubbing together of life with life.  Envy stings him, hate embitters him, greed eats away at him.

            “His affections are misplaced.  His love is trampled.  His confidence is betrayed.  Rich, he steps on the poor.  Poor, he seeks to dethrone the rich.  Prisons and hospitals and mental institutions mark the moral and emotional upheaval of man.

            The spiritual world is the darkest and thickest blackness of all.  Man is out of harmony with God.  The machinery is visibly out of gear.  He’s running out of ‘sync’ with God’s divine plan.  Evil tendencies dominate man from his tainted fallen ancestry.  He may want to do right, but he feels pulled down by some irresistible gravity of evil.

            “It is a fallen world.  It isn’t bad enough that the flesh is fallen, but Satan is also relentlessly attacking.  We live in this knowledge, praying, ‘And lead us not into temptation.’  We sin because we are tempted internally by our lusts, and externally by the enticements of Satan.  When lust conceives it brings forth sin.  And sin results in death.

            “How does Satan tempt us?  Through the  lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life.  Those do not proceed from the Father.  God’s desire is that we watch and pray and do not enter into temptation.”

 

            With that we will end this SD.

 

12/6/2020 9:02 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment