Sunday, March 28, 2021

PT-2 "The Respected Man: A Gentile" (Matt. 8:5-13)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/28/2021 9:07 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                  Focus:  PT-2 “The Respected Man: A Gentile”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matt. 8:5-13

 

            Message of the verses:  5 And when Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, imploring Him, 6 and saying, "Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, fearfully tormented." 7 Jesus said to him, "I will come and heal him." 8 But the centurion said, "Lord, I am not worthy for You to come under my roof, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9  "For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to this one, ‘Go!’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come!’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this!’ and he does it." 10 Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those who were following, "Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel. 11 “I say to you that many will come from east and west, and recline at the table with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven; 12  but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." 13 And Jesus said to the centurion, "Go; it shall be done for you as you have believed." And the servant was healed that very moment.”

 

            I mentioned in our last SD that we will continue to write about this centurion as we begin today’s SD.  Let me begin by talking about how slaves were actually treated during this period of time, and that is that they were property and property could be done with what the owner of the property desired including having the slaves killed.  It is very rare I would think to find a man like this centurion who actually cared for this slave of his, cared so much for his servant to set him apart from the typical Roman soldier, who as stated could have had him killed because he could not function like he was suppose to.

 

            John MacArthur writes “But the centurion from Capernaum had no such inhumane ideas.  He was a seasoned and capable fighting man or he would not have been a centurion—who, as the title indicates, was responsible for a hundred men.  He was a man’s man, a soldier’s soldier.  Yet he had deep compassion for his dying slave boy and felt unworthy to approach Jesus personally.  Jesus knew the man’s heart and did not need to hear a direct request, either from the centurion or from the Jews who came in his behalf.  He simply responded in love, saying, ‘I will come and heal him.’”

 

            When Jesus came to heal the centurion’s slave the centurion saw Him and then sent some friends out to meet Jesus as seen in Luke 7:3.  In the centurions behalf they ‘answered and said, ‘Lord, I am not worthy for You to come under my roof.’  This man felt genuinely unworthy for Jesus to go to that much trouble for him, and he had no doubt also did not want Jesus to break the Jewish tradition of not coming into the house of a Gentile, for the centurion would have known all about this tradition being friends with Jews and even building them their Synagogue.

 

            We can see also that the centurion twice addressed Jesus as Lord which indicates much more than courtesy.  Jesus testified of this man who He had never seen that he had such greater faith than seen in all of Israel as seen in verse 10.  This centurion knew that Jesus was indeed God and consequently had the power to heal his paralyzed servant.  Now because his servant was too ill to be carried out to Jesus and because he felt unworthy to have Jesus enter his house, the centurion said to Him, “Just say the word and my servant will be healed.”  This is amazing faith on his part, something that had to have come from the Spirit of God.  I have to believe that one day when I get to heaven that I will meet this man there.

 

3/28/2021 9:30 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment