Monday, March 29, 2021

PT-3 "The Respected Man: Gentile" (Matt. 8:5-13)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/29/2021 10:18 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                Focus:  PT-3 “The Respected Man: A Gentile”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matt. 8:5-13

 

            Message of the verses:  5 And when Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, imploring Him, 6 and saying, "Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, fearfully tormented." 7 Jesus said to him, "I will come and heal him." 8 But the centurion said, "Lord, I am not worthy for You to come under my roof, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9  "For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to this one, ‘Go!’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come!’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this!’ and he does it." 10 Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those who were following, "Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel. 11 “I say to

you that many will come from east and west, and recline at the table with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven; 12 but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." 13 And Jesus said to the centurion, "Go; it shall be done for you as you have believed." And the servant was healed that very moment.”

 

            We move on in this section of verses concerning the centurion, as he also understood delegation of power.  “For I, too, am a man under authority, with soldiers under me.  And I say to this one, ‘Go!’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come!’ and comes, and to my slave, ‘do this! And he does it.”  This man recognized authority when he saw it, and he certainly saw it in our Lord Jesus Christ.  The centurion knew that if he had the power to make his soldiers and slaves do what he told them to do by simply giving them orders, Jesus’ supernatural powers could even more easily allow Him simply to “say the word” and this would cause his servant to be healed.  As I look at this section and what will follow as to what Jesus said about this man it makes me wonder how many who read this will understand that we as believers are to do the commands that Jesus has told us to follow.  Mostly I am speaking about praying, and specifically praying for revival, revival in my life, in my churches lives, and in my countries life, as it is needed like never before in our history.

 

            As I have stated that when Jesus heard this He was truly amazed and stated that He had not seen such faith in Israel, all of Israel.  MacArthur writes “Although, as God, Jesus knew all men’s hearts, in His humanness He was amazed that this Gentile soldier showed more genuine faith in Him than He had found with anyone in Israel.  Many Jews had believed in Jesus, but none had shown sincerity, sensitively, humility, love, and depth of faith of this Gentile soldier.  Even to His disciples Jesus would say a short time later, ‘You men of little faith’ (8:26).  Still later in His ministry He would say to Philip, ‘Have I been so long with you, and you have not come to know Me?’ (John 14:9).”

 

            Now we come to a difficult time in this section as Jesus goes on to say “many will come from east and west, and recline at the table with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven; 12 but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’”  MacArthur helps us understand this passage by writing “Those who had less spiritual advantage and less opportunity to know God’s truth—the Gentiles ‘from east and west’—would show greater response to the gospel than God’s own chosen people, who considered themselves to be ‘the sons of the kingdom’ simply by virtue of racial descent.”

 

            We will continue looking at this section as we begin, what I hope will be our last section in this series of verses.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  It is surely my desire to do the things that Jesus wants me to do in order to bring glory to His name.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trusting the Lord that my wife will have a successful surgery on her ear this coming Wednesday.

 

3/29/2021 10:47 AM

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment