Wednesday, December 29, 2021

"Faith" (Matt. 11:28a)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/29/2021 9:51 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                                                    Focus:  “Faith”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 11:28a

 

            Message of the verse:  “Come to Me,”

 

            In this short SD we will begin a verse that has caused me to think about for a long time, not fully understanding exactly what our Lord is really saying, and so I am eager to begin looking at this verse and we begin with our Lord’s Word “Come to Me.”

 

            One of the things that I struggled with in the early years of my walk with the Lord is how was it that I became saved.  As I look back on when I became a born-again believer I was really sure that I had something to do with it, although at the time I did not really know exactly what it was that I did.  I know that this seems strange, but it is true.  There are people who believe that God chooses who are going to become believers before the world was even made, and then there are people who believe that it is all up to the person to become a believer.  I was on one side of this argument for a while and then on the other side of this argument for a while, and the truth is that I now believe both sides.  I believe that God called me before the foundation of the earth, which is the Father’s part of my salvation.  I also believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins as He paid for them while on the cross.  I also believe that the Holy Spirit of God gave me an effectual call for salvation back on the 26th of January, 1974, a call that I could not say no to, and thus said yes to, and that was my part as I said yes to this effectual call that January day in 1974.  This all makes perfect sense to me and I am thankful that after years of studying the Bible that this is what I truly believe God has taught me, and I am thankful.

 

            John MacArthur writes “Just as a man’s part in salvation is to come humbly, it is also to ‘come’ in faith.  Although finite minds cannot fully comprehend the truth, divine grace and human faith are inseparable in salvation.  God sovereignly provides salvation, which includes the fact that man must give himself to the Lord Jesus Christ in commitment before it becomes effective.  Jesus said, ‘All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me,’ and then immediately added, ‘and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out’ (John 6:37).”  Now you can see from this quotation that I totally agree with what MacArthur writes here.

 

            Exactly what is salvation?  Well salvation does not come through a creed, a church, a ritual, a pastor, a priest, or any other human means, it comes through Jesus Christ as we see in this short portion of verse 28 “Come to Me.”  What does that mean?  To come is to believe to the point of submitting to His Lordship.  John 6:35 says “Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.  MacArthur adds “Comes and believes are parallel just as are hunger and thirst.  Coming to Christ is believing in Him, which results in no longer hungering and thirsting.  Other biblical synonyms for believing in Christ include confessing Him receiving Him, eating and drinking Him, and hearing Him.”  Now I want to make a very short comment on “The Lordship Of Jesus Christ,” and this has become an issue with those who have a problem with it, and that is one of the major issues that people have with John MacArthur.  I truly don’t have a problem with this as I believe that every true believer will recognize that Jesus Christ is their Lord.  One verse I wish to quote here:  Ro 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”

 

            Peter tells us in Acts 10:43 “"Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins.’”  (The Him is speaking of Jesus Christ.)  Jesus tells us the following in John 3:14-16 “14  "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; 15 so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life. 16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” I believe that we are getting the idea of what Matthew 11:28 is all about as it is about salvation.  Lord willing we will continue this verse in our next SD.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful that God called me in eternity past, that Jesus Christ came to earth and took my place on the cross, and that the Holy Spirit gave me an effectual call to salvation.

 

My Steps of Faith For Today:  I trust the Lord to be a great comfort to our friends wife as he went to be with the Lord early Tuesday morning.

 

12/29/2021 10:26 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment