Tuesday, January 31, 2023

PT-10 "The Example of Forgiveness" (Matt. 18:23-35)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/31/2023 9:40 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                    Focus:  PT-10 “The Example of Forgiveness”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                              Reference:  Matthew 18:23-35

 

            Message of the verses:  23 “For this reason the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a certain king who wished to settle accounts with his slaves. 24  "And when he had begun to settle them, there was brought to him one who owed him ten thousand talents. 25 “But since he did not have the means to repay, his lord commanded him to be sold, along with his wife and children and all that he had, and repayment to be made. 26 “The slave therefore falling down, prostrated himself before him, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will repay you everything.’ 27 “And the lord of that slave felt compassion and released him and forgave him the debt. 28 “But that slave went out and found one of his fellow slaves who owed him a hundred denarii; and he seized him and began to choke him, saying, ‘Pay back what you owe.’ 29 “So his fellow slave fell down and began to entreat him, saying, ‘Have patience with me and I will repay you.’ 30 “He was unwilling however, but went and threw him in prison until he should pay back what was owed. 31 “So when his fellow slaves saw what had happened, they were deeply grieved and came and reported to their lord all that had happened. 32 “Then summoning him, his lord said to him, ‘You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you entreated me. 33 ‘Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, even as I had mercy on you?’ 34 “And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. 35 “So shall My heavenly Father also do to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.’”

 

            I want to begin this SD by talking about the fellow slaves of this slave who had been forgiven such a great debt by the king as seen in this parable that Jesus is giving to His disciples as He still has this small child on His lap which represents the truth that we are all in a sense little children in need of many things from our heavenly Father. ““So when his fellow slaves saw what had happened, they were deeply grieved and came and reported to their lord all that had happened” (V-31). 

 

            What can we as believers learn from verse thirty-one?  True born-again believers should be deeply grieved when a fellow believer is unforgiving because his hardness of heart not only tends to drive the offender deeper into sin but also caused dissention and division within the church, and this tarnishes its testimony before the world, and also it deeply grieves the Lord too.  Remember that we are in Christ, and thus when we sin it does grieve His heart greatly.

 

            MacArthur writes “The other slaves went to the king with the awful story, expecting that proper action would be taken against the unforgiving creditor.  This feature of the parable forms an interesting insight into the believer’s responsibility not only to go through the steps of disciplining a sinning brother but to petition the Lord Himself to act in chastening and purging the ungracious sinning child of God.”  I like how MacArthur ties this section with the former sections on church discipline that we have already gone over.

 

            Now we see what probably is expected that the king would do:  “Then summoning him, his lord said to him, ‘You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you entreated me. 33 ‘Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, even as I had mercy on you?” (Verses 32-33).

 

            Again we will look from MacArthur’s commentary to read “When a Christian allows remaining sin to control an attitude or action, he is being wicked, because sin is always sin, whether committed by a believer or unbeliever.  The sin of unforgiveness is in some ways even more wicked in a believer, because he has infinitely greater motivation and power to be forgiving than does a person who has never experienced God’s redeeming grace.  How can a person accept God’s mercy for all his sin, an unpayable debt, and then not forgive some small offense committed against himself?  I would say that that is a good question, but I realize that the flesh, when it is allowed to rule will cause a believer not to be forgiving.

 

            Here is what should have happened and this is something that I believe that is in the plan of God:  The slave should not only have forgiven the slave under him, but he should have had mercy on him and forgiven the debt all together just as the king had done for him.  “Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you” (Eph. 4:32).

 

           

            “And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him” (verse 34).  Now on an earlier occasion, the first slave’s plea for patience had moved the king to compassion and forgiveness, however now the man’s refusal to forgive his fellow servant moved the king to anger as seen in verse 34.

 

            Now as we look at where we are in this parable and see that there is only one more verse to look at you may think that we are nearly done looking at the parable, but  we still have over three pages to look at in MacArthur’s commentary so we will continue to keep going, as we look at this very important parable, remembering that Jesus gave this parable to His disciples, and if you are a believer you are a disciple of Jesus Christ.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I desire to keep a very short list with the Lord remembering Psalm 139:23-24 “23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; 24 And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.”

 

            My Steps of Faith for Today:  Remember to use the spiritual armor when tempted.

 

Spiritual Armor

Putting on the Spiritual Armor is an important things for believers to do each day in preparation for their time of prayer.]  I desire to put on the different pieces of the Spiritual Armor as found in Ephesians chapter six, and that by doing this as an act of faith I believe that it will please the Lord and bring glory to His name. I know that when I put these on that I am putting on the Lord Jesus Christ as described in Romans 13:14 “But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.” 

 

(1) I now take up the belt of truth, knowing that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, knowing that His Word is truth and I desire to be protected by His truth as I use it in the power of the Spirit today.  

(2) I put on the breastplate of righteousness thanking God for the righteousness that I have in Christ Jesus, and it is my desire to be protected by Your righteousness and live before You in righteousness and holiness today.

 (3) I put on the shoes of the Gospel of Peace, thanking You for Your provision of peace that I have with You through the blood of the cross, and also thanking You, who provides the peace that passes all understanding. 

(4) I take up the shield of faith to stop all of the fiery darts of Satan, and I ask You to make sure that I don’t add fuel to those fiery darts that Satan shoots at me.

(5) I put on the helmet of the hope of Salvation, knowing Jesus Christ will soon come again, and therefore I am not to have my roots in this world.  I am to be living as if the Lord were to come back today. 

(6) I take up the first of the two offensive weapons: the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, as it is to be used to combat the devil with its Truth as I use it like Jesus did in Matthew chapter four. 

(7) I take up the second offensive weapon: which is prayer, Lord lead me as I pray.  Help me to live in Your Power.

 

1/31/2023 10:16 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment