Friday, January 6, 2023

"The Purpose of Discipline" (Matt. 18:15c)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/6/2023 11:32 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                      Focus:  The Purpose of Discipline

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 18:15c

 

            Message of the verse:  “if he listens to you, you have won your brother.”

 

            I have been talking about what the purpose of discipline is in different parts of my SD’s while going through this section in Matthew chapter 18, but I think we will look more thoroughly at it in this SD.

 

            The actual purpose of discipline is spiritual restoration as seen in this last part of Matthew 18:15, “you have won your brother.”  When the sinning brother is rebuked and he turns from his sin and is forgiven, he is won back to fellowship with the Body and with its head, Jesus Christ.

 

            I have mentioned about the last pastor that I had in the church that I attended for 32 years, the church where I was baptized , as it was the only church that I went to after I became a believer.  He was the third pastor in that church and the first two were very godly men who preached and taught from the Bible, causing me to learn from their teachings.  This last man seemed to me to treat discipline in a way that would certainly do harm to the people whom he said were sinning.  I heard him say to some of the men that I worked with on repairing the church that he was going to take them to the board, and he said it in a mean-spirited way.  I am happy to learn from John MacArthur’s preaching and teaching what the true reason for discipline is all about.  I have to admit that there are still some hard feelings about what happened in my former church and I am not the only one.  He finally quit, but what he did to that church was totally wrong and the Lord is the One who will have to deal with this as He sees fit.  My hope would be that he finally confesses what he has done wrong.

 

            Let us look at some verses to help us in looking at this situation of discipline.  Proverbs 11:30 says “He who is wise wins souls,” the writer of Proverbs declared.  Galatians 6:1 written by the apostle Paul says “Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.  James 5:19-20 “19 My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, 20  let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.”  “In some cases, as in that of the James passage you may be confronting a professing Christian who is not even saved.  Enacting discipline has often, in  MacArthur's” experience, led to the admission by the sinner that he had never been saved and then to his desire for true conversion.”

 

            MacArthur goes on “Won is from kerdaind, which was originally a term of commerce referring to financial gain or profit.  Here it refers to the gaining back of something of value that is lost, namely, an erring brother.”  It was not long ago that we studied the passage about the lost sheep, and how the owner left the 99 and went out and searched for that lost 100th sheep.  He cared for that sheep as much as the other 99.  The shepherd’s will was “that one of these little ones would not perish.”  Now we who are believers should be on the lookout for sheep who seem to be having some kind of troubles so that we can be talking to those who seem lost or troubled or who have sinned so we can do as our verse says, to win the brother back.

 

            When a church member falls into sin and nothing is done about it in the church then the church as a whole suffers loss, because no individual believer in the Body is reproducible, perhaps people in churches don’t really understand this truth.  When you think about the body of Christ, which is the church, each individual is put into a particular church to fill a need.  The body is a wonderful example of the church as all parts of the human body are useful. 

 

            MacArthur concludes “Churches as well as individual Christians are tempted to say of a sinning brother, in effect  if not in words, ‘We have no business getting involved.  It’s his life, his decision, and his responsibility.  He’s accountable to God, and what he is and does is only between him and the Lord.’  That attitude may sound loving and spiritual on the surface, but it does not square with Scripture.  It reflects ungodly indifference, not loving concern for the brother who has fallen.”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  “23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; 24 And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way” (Ps. 139:23-24).

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust that the Holy Spirit will give me aid as I am memorizing verses in order to meditate on them.

 

1/6/2023 12:20 PM

           

No comments:

Post a Comment