Friday, February 17, 2023

PT-4 "The Affirmation" (Matt. 19:8-9)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/17/2023 9:23 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                         Focus:  PT-4 “The Affirmation”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 19:8-9

 

            Message of the verses:  8 He *said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart, Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way. 9 “And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.’”

 

            It is my desire to conclude this section on divorce in today’s SD, although this will not be the end to writing about divorce, just the end in this section.  I have to say that divorce is something that is not new to me, as I myself went through it before I became a believer in Jesus Christ for my salvation.  I have been married to my wife now for almost 50 years and God has blessed our time together as I became a believer some 6 months after my wife and I were married.  My divorce happened just like what Jesus said in that there was infidelity that could not have been resolved.  The man that my ex-wife married died a few years ago rather suddenly, and then a couple of years later my ex-wife also died.  I was with her a few weeks before she died and she told me that she was sorry about what she did to me.  I told her that the most important thing for her was to become a believer just like I am and spent a short time explaining the gospel to her.  I went to her funeral and it is my hope that she became a believer, but after listening to the “woman” preacher I have my doubts though.  It was a difficult time for me after we divorced, but God had a plan for my life and has blessed my wife and I with two children and seven grand-children all of whom are believers.

 

            John MacArthur speaks to what happened to me when he writes “A divorce on any other grounds than immorality, that is, adultery by one of the spouses, is always illegitimate, regardless of which one initiates the divorce.  Jesus here uses immorality and adultery synonymously.  He is saying that divorce that does not result from adultery results in adultery if there is remarriage.”

 

            We have learned that in the OT that death results in adultery, but also that God is gracious, as that is part of His attributes, and so since He is gracious to the sinning spouse by tolerating divorce instead of requiring execution.  God would surely also be gracious to the innocent spouse by permitting remarriage, which was permissible when a spouse died (cf. Rom 7:2-3).  MacArthur adds “The purpose of permitting divorce is to show mercy to the sinning spouse, not to condemn the innocent one to a lifetime of singleness and loneliness that would not be required if the Lord had the sinning executed.  Should His grace to the sinner penalize the innocent?  The Lord allows divorce in order that the adulterer might have opportunity to repent rather than be put to death.  And both here and in Matthew 5:32 Jesus specifically allows remarriage by the innocent spouse in order that he or she might have opportunity to enjoy again the blessings of marriage that were destroyed by the other partner’s adultery.  The qualification except for immorality clearly permits the innocent party who marries another to do so without committing adultery.”

 

            As we see that what Jesus states about marriage and remarriage for the spouse who was not the sinful one has reinforced His previous teaching about divorce and remarriage but this was also a devastating indictment of the Pharisees who were then trying to devastate Him.  I have to say that even when they were a large part of having Jesus Christ put to death that that in no way was devastating to Him, for it was in the predetermined plan of God.  Let us look at a couple of verses from the Sermon on the Mount at this time.  “"For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matt. 5:20).  “But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart (Matt. 5:28).  Verse 20 contrasts true righteousness with the false righteousness that the scribes and the Pharisees had.  Verse 28 gives the true meaning of adultery that is it takes place in the mind before it takes place with the body.  As we have already mentioned that divorce on any grounds but immorality also resulted in adultery when there was remarriage, as was almost always the case, and so this strong implication of that statement, which the self-righteous Pharisees could not have missed, was that they themselves were guilty of proliferating adultery.

 

            MacArthur concludes this rather long section by writing “It should be noted that the Holy Spirit adds one other gracious concession by also allowing divorce and remarriage as an option for a believer who is deserted by an unbeliever.”  If you are looking at a full treatment of this issue you can look at MacArthur’s commentary on 1 Corinthians.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful for this study on divorce and remarriage, and other things that the Lord is teaching me through it.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Putting on and using the Spiritual armor is a key in not giving into temptation.  “No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it” (1 Cor. 10:13).

 

2/17/2023 10:03 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment