Monday, March 6, 2023

PT-1 "The Request to Jesus" (Matt. 19:16)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/6/2023 10:53 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  PT-1 “The Request to Jesus”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                    Reference:  Matthew 19:16

 

            Message of the verse:  16 And behold, one came to Him and said, "Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?’”

 

            I mentioned in my last SD that I had listened to a sermon by John MacArthur on this section of Matthew and said that in that sermon MacArthur did not mention that the man that he meet on the plane turned away from the Lord, but I was mistaken as I listened to that sermon on my walk yesterday and he stated that the man did walk away from the Lord.  I think that I have over 2600 sermons by John MacArthur on my laptop and phone and so sometimes I get mixed up for I have listened to many of these sermons.

 

            Let us take a look at verse 20 as we begin this SD “20 The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?’”  Here we get a look at who it was who was talking to Jesus, a young man who had a great deal of money as this section in some Bible headings is called “The Rich Young Ruler.”  Verse 22 speaks of his wealth.  In the gospel of Luke (18:18) “A ruler questioned Him, saying, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?’”  There is speculation that this young man was a ruler in a synagogue which was an honored position for one who is young.  MacArthur writes “Behold suggests how unusual and unexpected it was that he would admit he lacked eternal life and come to Jesus to find it.”

 

            Let us look at several factors which are clear as we analyze this unique encounter with our Lord.  The first one is that this young man came genuinely seeking eternal life, as he was motivated by his sense of need for a true spiritual hope.  Once again remember it is thought that this young man was a ruler in a synagogue.  In the Scripture the term eternal life is found some fifty times, and always refers primarily to quality rather than quantity.  MacArthur adds “Although eternal life obviously carries the idea of being an everlasting reality, it does not refer simply to unending existence.  Even ancient pagans knew that mere unending existence would not necessarily be desirable.  According to Greek mythology, Aurora, goddess of the dawn, fell in love with a young mortal named Tithonus.  When Zeus offered to provide anything she wished for her human lover, she asked that he might never die.  The wish was granted, but because she had not asked that Tithonus remain forever young, he continued to grow older and more decrepit.  Instead of being blessed, he was cursed to perpetual degeneration.”  When one things about what happened after Adam and Eve sinned, the Lord put a guard over the garden so that they would not eat of the tree of life and never die. 

 

            William Hendriksen insightfully observes, “‘life’” means active response to one’s environment,’ then eternal life must mean active response to that which is eternal, namely God’s heavenly realm.”  MacArthur adds “Just as physical life is the ability to live and move and respond to the physical world, eternal life is the ability to live and move and respond in the heavenly world.”

 

            The following quotation from MacArthur’s commentary is something that makes a lot of sense to me, something that I have to say did not fully understand before listening to his sermon and then reading his commentary.

 

            “Eternal life is first of all a quality of existence, the divinely-endowed ability to be alive to God and the things of God.  The Jews saw it as that which fills the heart with hope of life after death.  The unsaved person is spiritually alive only to sin.  But when he receives Christ as Lord and Savior, he becomes alive to God and to righteousness (Rom. 6:1-13).  That is the essence of eternal life, the life of God’s own Son dwelling within.”

 

            Lord willing we will go on and talk more about how this affected this young ruler in our next SD.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Understanding that eternal life is a quality of life here on earth and then in heaven because I belong to the Lord is something that makes much more sense to me.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I desire to enjoy my eternal life here on earth as I stay close to the Lord.

 

3/6/2023 11:26 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment