Monday, March 20, 2023

PT-3 "The Poverty of Riches" (Matt. 19:23-26)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/20/2023 12:45 PM

 

My Worship Time                                                             Focus:  PT-3 “The Poverty of the Rich”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                    Reference:  Matt. 19:23-26

 

            Message of the verses:  23 And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 "And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." 25 And when the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, "Then who can be saved?" 26 And looking upon them Jesus said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’”

 

            I think that it is best that before we consider what Jesus meant by saying that it is impossible, we must consider some reasons why it is difficult to enter into the kingdom of heaven.  First thing is that the rich tend to have false security in their riches, and this is because wealth can provide for all physical needs and a great many things beyond needs, the wealthy are inclined to rely on their money to buy whatever they want, so they see little reason to depend on the Lord.  MacArthur adds “That is one reason there are ‘not many wise,…mighty,…noble; but God has chosen the foolish,…weak,…base,…despised’ (1 Cor. 1:26-28).  The poor, on the other hand, became the special objects of and responders to our Lord’s teaching (Luke 4:18).”

 

            It has been a few years ago that I taught through the book of Revelation in our Sunday school class and even more years when I studied Revelation using my Spiritual Diaries, in fact I put my studies of Revelation on my blogs two times.  I have to say that when I became a believe back in 1974 that the Lord used end time prophecy to draw me to Himself.  Ok why am I talking about Revelation when we are studying the 19th chapter of Matthew?  Well I want to talk about one of the cities that the Lord wrote letters to which is found in the end of the 3rd chapter of Revelation, a city called Laodicea.  Jesus was very hard on that city.  Let me just quote what He said to them. 

            “14 "To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this: 15 ‘I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. 16 ‘So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit (vomit) you out of My mouth. 17 ‘Because you say, "I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing," and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked, 18 I advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness will not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see. 19 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent. 20 ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me. 21 ‘He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. 22 ‘He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’’”

 

            It was in the year 60 A.D. that Laodicea was destroyed by and earthquake and so the Roman government told the leaders that they would give them money to rebuild the city.  The leaders stated that they did not want money from the government of Rome as they would take care of it by themselves, which is what they did.  Nowfast forward to 90 A. D. which is probably the year that the church of Laodicea received this letter from the Lord and perhaps you can see why this church was arrogant thinking that they need nothing.  This church follows the name of what the Lord is telling His disciples in Matthew 19:23-26, that is “The Poverty of the Rich.”  These people thought they were in need of nothing because they were rich, and Jesus tells them that because of their richness they were spiritually very poor, in fact Jesus has nothing good to say to this church, one of only two churches He wrote to in Revelation 2-3.  I believe that the churches in Revelation chapters 2-3 are in prophetic order that is that they all go downhill in their spirituality.  It was in the early 1900’s that the major churches spirituality is that of Laodicea. This is the what many of the churches in our country and world are like today, that is “The Poverty of Riches.”  Not all churches are like this as I also believe that each church listed in Revelation 2-3 are seen in the world today. 

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Spiritual richness is head and shoulders about physical riches.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Last night in our annual business meeting for our church the man in charge of the budget showed a series of slides and one of them showed that the majority of people in our church gave only $2000.00 for the entire year.  I think that this totaled less than $30,000 for the year.  Our budget is over a million dollars a year and so the majority is truly not holding up their own weight as far as giving.  I will not say where our giving was as husband and wife but to say it was certainly not in the majority.  I believe that the Lord owns everything and that we are stewards of what He has entrusted us with.

 

3/20/2023 1:19 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment