Sunday, November 19, 2023

PT-1 "Intro to Matt. 24:1-3

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/19/2023 8:04 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  PT-1 “Intro to Matt. 24:1-3”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 24:1-3

 

            Message of the verses:  1 And Jesus came out from the temple and was going away when His disciples came up to point out the temple buildings to Him. 2 And He answered and said to them, "Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone here shall be left upon another, which will not be torn down." 3 And as He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?’”

 

            I begin my fifth year in my study of the gospel of Matthew and I get to me, what is the most important part of this book.  I say to me and the reason is because it was through the study of the end times that the Lord brought me to Himself and saved me almost 50 years ago.  Matthew chapters 24-25 are what is called “The Olivet Discourse,” and the reason is that Jesus gave this “sermon” to His disciples on the Mount of Olives.  The theme of the discourse is Christ’s second coming at the end of the present age to establish His millennial kingdom on earth.  Let me just say that the study of these two chapters a far as looking at MacArthur’s fourth commentary on Matthew are 126 pages long, and so all I can say is buckle up for this will take a few months to get through this wonderful section in Matthew’s gospel.

 

            3 And as He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?’”  This questions prompted by the disciples is why Jesus gives this message that is found in the rest of chapter 24 and all of 25. MacArthur writes “Now the answer Jesus gave is the longest answer given to any question asked in the New Testament, and its truths are absolutely essential for understanding His return and the amazing events associated with it. It is the revelation of our Lord, directly from His own lips, about His return to earth in glory and power.”  In my study of the book of Revelation, and I did it two times, three if you count when I taught it in Sunday school class, I learned that chapters 6-19 parallel these two chapters in Matthew’s gospel.

 

            I will conclude this rather short SD with another paragraph from MacArthur’s commentary, but before I do this I wish to state the title of this chapter that covers these first three verses in Matthew 24.  “The Sings of Christ’s Coming—part 1 The Background.”

 

            The teaching of the Olivet discourse is much debated and frequently misunderstood, largely because it is viewed through the lens of a particular theological system or interpretive scheme that makes the message appear complex and enigmatic. But the disciples were not learned men, and Jesus’ purpose was to give them clarity and encouragement, not complexity and anxiety.  The intricate interpretations that are sometimes proposed for this passage would have left the disciples utterly dumbfounded.  It is preferable to take Jesus’ words as simply and as straightforwardly as possible.”

 

            Lord willing, we will begin to look at what the author calls “PROPHETIC EXPECTATIONS IN JUDAISM” in our next SD.

 

11/19/2023 8:30 AM  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment