Thursday, May 23, 2024

PT-1 "Supplication" (Matt. 26:39-45a)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/23/2024 7:47 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  PT-1 “Supplication”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                          Reference:  (Matthew 26:39-45a)

 

            Message of the verses:  39 And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will." 40 And He came to the disciples and *found them sleeping, and said to Peter, "So, you men could not keep watch with Me for one hour? 41 “Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." 42 He went away again a second time and prayed, saying, "My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Your will be done." 43 Again He came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. 44 And He left them again, and went away and prayed a third time, saying the same thing once more. 45 Then He came to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting?’”

 

            Today we begin another long section which will take a few days to get through.  These are very important verses to understand, in order for us to better see what the Lord Jesus Christ went through in paying for the sins of the world, but remember God has no grandchildren, only children as each person has to understand that they are a sinner, born a sinner, and on their own can do nothing about it, but through the blood of Jesus Christ which He shed on the cross for sin, can accept that forgiveness that He has to offer.  You can pray something like this in order to be sure of heaven.  “Lord I know that I am a sinner, and because of that I sin and am in need of your forgiveness.  I realize that on my own I can do nothing to take care of this sin problem.  I realize that You died on the cross in order to pay for my sin, and so Lord I invite You into my life to forgive me of all of my sins, past, present, and future.  I desire to walk with You, to serve You in the way that You have designed me to do this.  Thank You Lord Jesus for dying for me, help me to live for you from now on.”

 

            Now we begin this long section where we see the prayer that the Lord prayed to His Father.  Now we see in verse 39 Jesus said My Father, and most of the time Jesus would say “Father,” but because of the situation He was in He said My Father. 

 

            John MacArthur writes “These verses focus alternately on Jesus’ supplication to His heavenly Father and on the three disciples’ falling asleep.  On the one hand is Jesus’ intense, self-giving desire to do His Father’s will, even to the point of becoming sin to save sinners and by prayer to deal with temptation cast at Him.  On the other hand is the disciples’ indifferent, self-centered inability to watch and to comfort the conflict and danger with intercession on their Lord’s behalf.  While Jesus, understanding the power of the enemy, retreated to prayer, they retreated to sleep.”

 

            MacArthur goes on to talk about what I mentioned about what He called His Father, and with this quotation I will end this first SD on this subject of “Supplication.”

 

            “Again going a little beyond the three disciples, Jesus fell on His face and prayed to His Father.  Except at the time when He quoted Psalm 22:1 as He cried out from the cross, ‘My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?’  (Matt. 27:46), Jesus always addressed God as Father.  In do doing He expressed an intimacy with God that was foreign to the Judaism of His day and that was anathema to the religious leaders.  They thought of God as Father in the sense of His being progenitor of Israel, but not in the sense of His being a personal Father to any individual.  For Jesus to address God as His Father was blasphemy to them, and ‘for this cause therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God’ (John 5:18).”

 

5/23/2024 8:10 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment