Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Verdict and Sentence (2Sam. 12:7-12)

9/22/2010 7:07:16 AM



SPIRITUAL DIARY



My Worship Time                                                                 Focus: The verdict & the sentence



Bible Reading & Meditation                                                            Reference:  2Sam. 12:7-12



            Message of the verses: “7 Nathan then said to David, "You are the man! Thus says the LORD God of Israel, ’It is I who anointed you king over Israel and it is I who delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 ’I also gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your care, and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added to you many more things like these! 9 ’Why have you despised the word of the LORD by doing evil in His sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword, have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the sons of Ammon.  10 ’Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.’ 11 “Thus says the LORD, ’Behold, I will raise up evil against you from your own household; I will even take your wives before your eyes and give them to your companion, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight. 12 ’Indeed you did it secretly, but I will do this thing before all Israel, and under the sun.’”



            David was angry at the man in the story who had killed the little ewe lamb that belonged to the poor man and so Nathan tells David that he was that man.  I do not suppose that he gave David time to react to that statement, but he goes on to tell him the verdict that the Lord had told Nathan to tell David.  David had not only sinned against Uriah and Bathsheba, but he also sinned against the Lord and he did not care that he had broken four of the Ten Commandments and used the enemy of Ammon to kill Uriah, and then he took Bathsheba to be his wife.  Nathan goes on to tell David that if the things that the Lord had given him were too little that He would have given him more.  The Lord had taken David from tending sheep to make him king and then kept him safe from Saul and then given all that Saul had and given it to David, and God had also given him victory over his enemies and now David forgot all of this for one moment of pleasure. 



            As for the matter of the sentence that the Lord was about to give to David it was harsh because the crimes were also harsh, but the Lord will pardon David from a part of this sentence because He is gracious and because God had made a covenant with David to always have a man on the throne and this still holds true even today as Jesus Christ is seated on the throne in heaven next to His Father ruling and reigning. 

            David would lose four of his sons, the baby; Amnon, Absalom, and Adonijah were all kill by the sword with the exception of Bathsheba’s baby.  Absalom would lie with David concubines in full view of all to see.  What David did with Bathsheba was not as serious as what he did to Uriah, and in 1Kings 15:5 the author speaks of the matter of what David did to Uriah, but does not speak of what David did with Bathsheba.

            Dr. Wiersbe points out the laws that David broke and the consequences that that are written in the Law when these laws were broken and they all happened to David, especially when Absalom took over for a brief time as king before Joab killed him.



            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  God is equitable in all his doings with me, and though my sins have been forgiven me through the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ there are still consequences when I sin just as there were when David sinned.



My Steps of Faith for Today:



1.      I give myself to the Lord today for worship and for service.

2.      I trust the Lord to guide my path today.

3.      I trust the Lord to guide me into making the correct decisions with the health problems that I am now facing.





9/22/2010 7:45:41 AM







           

No comments:

Post a Comment