Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Commiting (2Sam. 11:4)

9/19/2010 7:54:04 AM



SPIRITUAL DIARY



My Worship Time                                                                             Focus:  The committing



Bible Reading & Meditation                                                            Reference:  2Sam. 11:4



            Message of the verses:  “4  David sent messengers and took her, and when she came to him, he lay with her; and when she had purified herself from her uncleanness, she returned to her house.”  “4  David sent his agents to get her. After she arrived, he went to bed with her. (This occurred during the time of "purification" following her period.) Then she returned home.”  (Message)



            Dr. Wiersbe points out all some of the questions that arise from this verse and some of the questions that come to mind is how much did Bathsheba have to do with this?  Is it possible that Bathsheba was missing her husband’s affection that she wanted to find some elsewhere?  Did Bathsheba plan this by taking her bath on the roof so others could see her, perhaps even David? 

            The Bible does not answer these questions or many others that come to mind here.  Even though David was king over Israel he did not have the right to commit adultery and therefore he could not force anyone to participate in this because he was king for the king covenant was with Israel and also with God and the Law of God forbid adultery and was punishable by stoning of both parties.

            The fact is that both David and Bathsheba committed a sin against God and the results of this would mean death to four people, five if you include Uriah.  “The wages of sin is death.”



            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I think that all sin stems from selfishness, getting what you want when you want it no matter what the costs.  This is what happened to David and even if Bathsheba was setting David up he did not have to fall into the trap that was set for him! 

            Sin seems to be always crouching at the door of my life and because I am a new person in Christ I do have the power to say no, but the enemy of my soul is the worst kind of enemy one can have and will do anything to cause me to fall into sin and give into my selfishness.  One of the things that the Lord has been impressing on my heart is to take every though captive to the obedience of Christ, something that is very difficult to do but not impossible with the help of the Holy Spirit and continued study of the Scriptures.  By continuing in my study of the Scriptures I can have the mind of Christ and this is so important if I am to live a life that is pleasing to God.



My Steps of Faith for Today:



1.      Trust in the Lord with all of my heart and lean not upon my own understanding, in all my ways acknowledge Him and He will direct my path.

2.      Give myself to the Lord for worship and service this day.

3.      Continue to strive to learn contentment.

4.      Be protected by the spiritual armor.
Strive to take every though captive to the obedience of Christ.  9/19/2010 8:28:06 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment