Friday, November 23, 2012

God is with us and He made us (Psalm 139:7-18)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/23/2012 11:08:05 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                               Focus:  Psalm 139 PT-2

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                       Reference:  Psalm 139:7-18

 

            Message of the verses:  We will continue looking at the 139th Psalm in Today’s Spiritual Diary.

 

            God Is with Us Constantly—We Cannot Escape Him (vv. 7-12):    7 ¶  Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8  If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. 9  If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, 10  Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me. 11  If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, And the light around me will be night," 12  Even the darkness is not dark to You, And the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to You.”

 

            We begin this section by seeing that God’s omnipresence is seen in this section, which of course is one of the attributes of God.

            I can’t help but think that the prophet Jonah should have read this psalm before he decided that he could run away from God, but if he did read it he surely forgot it and tried to run away from God anyway.  He went from a bad situation to a worse situation, and then back to a bad situation.

            God does not want us to try and run from Him, but he wants us to have His best, and running away is not what we should do.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “We need God’s presence with us if we want to enjoy His love and fulfill His purposes.”

 

            God Made Us Wonderfully—We Cannot Ignore Him (vv. 13-18):  “13  For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. 14  I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well. 15  My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; 16  Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them. 17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! 18  If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand. When I awake, I am still with You.”

           

            Dr. Wiersbe points out that this is one of the greatest passages in literature about the miracle of human conception and birth.  A friend of mine has just welcomed another grand-child into the world earlier this week and he told me that you can never get over the wonderful miracle of birth.  Eugene Petersen states “In the presence of birth we don’t calculate—we marvel.”  I think this is what my friend was doing.

            We have a huge problem in our world and that is abortion, I have heard that there are around 50 million abortions a year that happen around the world.  When one looks at this passage and thinks about the great marvel of conception and then the way that the baby is formed inside the mother’s womb and then to think that someone could stop that life because of convenience sake is unthinkable for abortion stops a beating heart. 

In verse 13 we see the word “woven” and this word means woven together, for the Lord causes all to be woven together in the exact way that He desires for them.  David stated that God is everywhere, and that is because He is Spirit and so it should be no surprise to us to see that He is involved in all processes of forming our bodies while in our mother’s womb. 

God did more than design our bodies for He also planed out and He determined our days.  This is an interesting subject for us to look at, one that I am sure has different opinions, but I surely agree with Dr. Wiersbe, and that should come at no great surprise.  He states, “This probably includes the length of life (Job. 14:5), ‘Since his days are determined, The number of his months is with You; And his limits You have set so that he cannot pass.’  And the tasks He wants us to perform (Eph. 2:10; Phil 2:12-13), “10  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.’  ‘12 ¶  So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; 13  for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.’  This is not some form of fatalism or heartless predestination, for what we are and what He plans for us come from God’s loving heart (Psalm 33:11) and are the very best He has for us (Rom. 12:2) “2  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.’ –How can we ignore God when He has given us such a marvelous body and planned for us a wonderful life?  Life is not a prison, it is an exciting pilgrimage, and the Lord has prepared us for what He prepared for us.”

 

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Much to think about from these two sections, and much to praise the Lord about from these two sections too.  To think that God formed me in my mother’s womb, and to think that He planned all my days with things to do that will bring glory to Him is overwhelming to me.  I have said before that Ephesians 2:10 is a verse with great meaning to me because in it I see that God has planned in eternity past works for me to do, and I desire to do all those works.  Sin can hinder my path, but there is forgiveness with the Lord as seen in my memory verses for this week.  I think that God can cause some of His children to leave this earth before they finish their course as evidenced from the story in Acts chapter 5, and what Paul wrote to the Corinthians in first Cor. 11, but as Dr. Wiersbe states “If we live foolishly, we might die before the time God has ordained, but God’s faithful children are immortal until their work is done.”  

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to learn contentment, and continue to be transformed by the renewing of my mind. 

 

Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 130:1-5

 

            1 Out of the debts I cried to You, O LORD.  2 O Lord, hear my voice!  Let Your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.  3 If You, Lord should mark iniquities, O Lord who, could stand?  4 But there is forgiveness with You, That You may be feared.

            5 I wait for the Lord, my soul does wait, and in His Word do I hope.

 

11/23/2012 12:39:52 PM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment