Thursday, November 22, 2012

“God Knows Us Intimately—We Cannot Deceive Him" Ps. 139:1-6)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/22/2012 10:42:27 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                               Focus:  Psalm 139 PT-1

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                             Reference:  Psalm 13:1-6

 

            Message of the verses:  Today we will begin to explore Psalm 139, one of the gems of the entire Bible.  We will look at several different Bible Commentators views on their introduction to this psalm and then begin to look at the psalm.

 

            “Some of the Jewish doctors are of opinion that this is the most excellent of all the psalms of David; and a very pious devout meditation it is upon the doctrine of God’s omniscience, which we should therefore have our hearts fixed upon and filled with in singing this psalm.  (Matthew Henry)

 

            “One of the most notable of the sacred hymns. It sings the omniscience and omnipresence of God, inferring from these the overthrow of the powers of wickedness, since he who sees and hears the abominable deeds and words of the rebellious will surely deal with them according to his justice. The brightness of this Psalm is like unto a sapphire stone, or Ezekiel’s "terrible crystal"; it flames out with such flashes of light as to turn night into day. Like a Pharos, this holy song casts a clear light even to the uttermost parts of the sea, and warns its against that practical atheism which ignores the presence of God, and so makes shipwreck of the soul.

 

            “TITLE: To the Chief Musician: The last time this title occurred was in #Ps 109:1-31. This sacred song is worthy of the most excellent of the singers, and is fitly dedicated to the leader of the Temple Psalmody, that he might set it to music, and see that it was devoutly sung in the solemn worship of the Most High. A Psalm of David: It bears the image and superscription of King David, and could have come from no other mint than that of the son of Jesse. Of course the critics take this composition away from David, on account of certain Aramaic expressions in it. We believe that upon the principles of criticism now in vogue it would be extremely easy to prove that Milton did not write Paradise Lost. We have yet to learn that David could not have used expressions belonging to "the language of the patriarchal ancestral house." Who knows how much of the antique speech may have been purposely retained among those nobler minds who rejoiced in remembering the descent of their race? Knowing to what wild inferences the critics have run in other matters, we have lost nearly all faith in them, and prefer to believe David to be the author of this Psalm, from internal evidences of style and matter, rather than to accept the determination of men whose modes of judgment are manifestly unreliable.”

 

            “What we think about God and our relationship to Him determines what we think about everything else that makes up our busy world—other people, the universe, God’s Word, God’s will, sin faith and obedience.  Wrong ideas about God will ultimately lead to wrong ideas about who we are and what we should do, and this leads to a wrong life on the wrong path toward the wrong destiny.  In other words, theology—the right knowledge of God—is essential to a fulfilled life in this world.  David contemplated God and wrote for us a psalm whose message can only encourage us to be in a right relationship with Him.”  (Warren Wiersbe)

 

            “This intensely personal Davidic psalm expresses the psalmist’s awe that God knew him, even to the minutest detail.  David might have remembered the Lord’s words, ‘the LORD looks at the heart’ (1Sam. 16:7).  The exact occasion is unknown.”  (The John MacArthur Study Bible)

 

            “God Knows Us Intimately—We Cannot Deceive Him (vv. 1-6)” :  “1 ¶  «For the choir director. A Psalm of David.» O LORD, You have searched me and known me. 2  You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. 3  You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways. 4  Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD, You know it all. 5  You have enclosed me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. 6  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it.”

 

            As I look at these verses I can see some of the attributes that God possesses.  God is all knowing as seen in verse one.  God is present everywhere as seen in verse two.  We also see God’s wisdom in verse two.  Verse three shows God’s power and knowledge.  Verse four shows that God knows everything, while verse five shows His power and omnipresence.  Knowledge is seen in verse five.

            Verse one contains the word “searched,” and this verb means to “examine with great care.”  I suppose the concept can be seen from the following portion of Scripture, “8  "Or what woman, if she has ten silver coins and loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? 9  "When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ’Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin which I had lost!’”  (Luke 15:8-9)  The woman in this story looked intently for her coin.  God knows us in an intimate way for David states that God has searched him and He knows David.  You can’t, so to say, “pull the wool over” God, for He knows all things.  Adam and Eve tried to do this, Cain tried to do this, and we even see from the story of David and Bathsheba that David tried to do this.  They all failed because God knows all things and He knows all people.  Some people do not have enough faith to believe this, but for God this is no problem.  Look at how God created the earth and the rest of the universe; He did it by His Word, so how big of a problem is it for God to know all people? 

            We see the word “understand” in verse two and Dr. Wiersbe states that this word “means ‘to distinguish and discern with insight’ and not just gather raw data.”

            In verse three (NASB) we see the word “scrutinize,” and this word means to winnow grain, you have to look carefully to make sure there is none of the straw in the wheat.  One more word to look at from verse 23, “23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts.”  Search means to test metal.  When I worked at my job in the foundry of an Automobile company it was my job to make sure that the metal that was produced was in proper specification and so we would takes samples to test the metal and make sure it is the proper specification.  There were different processes to check the metal, some to a bit longer than others.  The best way was to use a spectrometer, and this would take a small sample and burn it and then the spectrometer would use light to see what the metal contained.  God does not need a spectrometer to search our hearts for He knows all things.  We can see that God knows us intimately by looking at verses 1, 2, 4, and 23.  The writer to the Hebrews states, “And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do. (NASB)  No creature has any cover from the sight of God; everything lies naked and exposed before the eyes of him with whom we have to deal.”  (Philips) 

            Not only does God know all of us but He knows what is best for all of us too, and He can guide us, but we must be willing to let Him do this, we must understand that our ways are not God’s ways unless we submit to God so that He will show us His perfect way.  I know that as a believer that I fail at this but then I remember the saying of the old Scottish preacher who said, “The successful Christian life is a series of new beginnings.”  Verse five says that God enclosed us from the front and behind and this word means that God is guarding us like a valuable possession, for we are valuable to Him.

            Just as David was overwhelmed over how God knows and cares for us, we to should be and praise Him because of this.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have often quoted verses 23-24 in my Spiritual Diaries because I desire to have the Holy Spirit search my heart to make sure that there are no sinful ways in my heart, so that I can have sweet fellowship with my Heavenly Father.  Our family read this psalm to our dying mother close to when the Lord transported her spirit to heaven.  I asked to have verse 16b at my father’s funeral, “And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them.”

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Praise the Lord for His watch care over me as seen in this section of Psalm 139, and praise Him for His wonderful knowledge, as He intimately knows and cares, and guides me all of the time.

 

Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 130:1-5

 

            1 Out of the debts I cried to You, O LORD.  2 Lord hear my voice!  Let Your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.  3 If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord who could stand?  But there is forgiveness with You, That You may be feared.

            5 I wait for the Lord, My soul does wait, and in His Word do I hope.

 

11/22/2012 12:08:36 PM    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment