Saturday, November 24, 2012

God Judges Righteously-WE Cannot Dispute Him (Psalm 139:19-24)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/24/2012 10:12:07 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                 Focus:  Psalm 139-PT-3

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                        Reference:  Psalm 139:19-24

 

            Message of the verses:  We will continue looking at the wonderful 139th Psalm in Today’s Spiritual Diary.

 

God Judges Righteously—We Cannot Dispute Him (vv. 19-24):  “19  O that You would slay the wicked, O God; Depart from me, therefore, men of bloodshed. 20  For they speak against You wickedly, And Your enemies take Your name in vain. 21  Do I not hate those who hate You, O LORD? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? 22  I hate them with the utmost hatred; They have become my enemies. 23  Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; 24  And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.”

 

            This section has some tough verses in it, tough to understand, especially for those who only see God as love, and do not want to look at God as the Judge.  The health and wealth gospel that is popular today does not look at God as the Judge, but God is not only love but just.  We cannot pick and choose which attributes of God we want to believe, for in doing so we are putting God in a box, and He becomes our own personal god to do as we want him to do.  As we look back at the cross of Christ, and this was the reason that He came to earth which is stated as far back as Genesis 3:15, we know that it was not only God’s love that was involved in the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, but it was also God’s justice that was involved.  “Isa 53:10  But the LORD was pleased To crush Him, putting Him to grief; If He would render Himself as a guilt offering, He will see His offspring, He will prolong His days, And the good pleasure of the LORD will prosper in His hand.”  We see here that God was involved in the death of our Lord, but there are others too.  The Jewish people were involved, for after all they wanted Him to die as they shouted out crucify Him, crucify Him.  Judas was also involved as he was the one who betrayed Him.  Pilate too was involved because although he did not want to have him crucified he still gave the order.  Finally there was me and all others that He died for, for “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”  As we look at the cross we can praise the Lord for being a just God for the only way that God could have anyone go to His heaven and be in His presence is to have His justice satisfied.  “1Jo 4:10  In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.”  In the Greek culture there were many gods and the use of the word propitiation meant to them the satisfaction of an angry god.  Yes God is angry with sin, but when a person realizes that he is a sinner and turns to Jesus Christ and confesses his sins and then invites Him into his life to be his Savior and Lord then God looks at him through His Son because His Son has satisfied the anger of God, thus the person is saved.  Without the satisfaction of God’s anger, satisfying His Justice no one could be saved.

 

            Now I want to quote from Warren Wiersbe from his commentary on this section of Scripture.  Yes, it is difficult to love rebellious sinners and still hate their sins, but we need more ‘holy hatred’ in this day when blatant sin is a popular form of entertainment.  Let love be without hypocrisy.’ Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good’ (Rom. 12:9).  Whenever we pray ‘Thy kingdom come,’ we are asking the Lord to judge the wicked, and we leave the matter in His hands.”

            As far as the last two verses Dr. Wiersbe states, “We must be cautious as we examine ourselves because we do not even know our own hearts (Jer. 17:9).  It is best to open the Word and let the Spirit search us and speak to us, for then we discover the truth.  We must never dispute with God, for He loves us and wants only the very best for us.”

 

Here is a song that speaks about verses 23-24:

 

  1. Search me, O God, and know my heart today,
    Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray;
    See if there be some wicked way in me;
    Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.
  2. I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin;
    Fulfill Thy word and make me pure within;
    Fill me with fire, where once I burned with shame;
    Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.
  3. Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;
    Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine;
    Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;
    I now surrender, Lord, in me abide.
  4. O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
    Send a revival, start the work in me;
    Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need;
    For blessings now, O Lord, I humbly plead.

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I try and begin my prayer time before working on my Spiritual Diary by asking the Lord to search my heart.  By doing this I then am keeping a short list with the Lord so that He can bless my effort in doing my Spiritual Diaries.  It is very important to me to have the Holy Spirit teach me through His Word so that I can then pass along what I am learning to those who read my Spiritual Diaries.  After placing my Spiritual Diaries onto my blog I then look at the countries who have looked at them and pray for those who have looked at them.  I pray that God will be pleased to glorify His Son through the salvation of souls, through the growth of believers, and also for believers to begin to have some sort of time with the Lord as they are encouraged by what they read.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  God will be glorified through these Spiritual Diaries. I will continue to learn contentment and I will continue to have my  mind renewed through the Word of God, to be transformed.

 

Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 130:1-5

 

            1 Out of the debts I cried to You, O LORD.  2 Lord, hear my voice!  Let Your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.  3 If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?  But there is forgiveness in You, That You may be feared.

            5 I wait for the Lord, my soul does wait, and in His Word to I hope.

 

11/24/2012 11:12:52 AM  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment