Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Servant's Death PT-3 (Mark 15:34-47)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/9/2013 8:34 AM
My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  The Servant’s Death PT-3
Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Mark 15:34-41
            Message of the verses:  In today’s Spiritual Diary we will look at the last sub-point from Dr. Wiersbe’s commentary on the Gospel of Mark from the 15th chapter of Mark.  We have been looking at the crucifixion of our Lord Jesus Christ, which John MacArthur calls the Holy of Holies from the New Testament.  We are looking at the fulfillment of many different prophecies that were given in the OT concerning what would happen to the Messiah, something only God could have foretold. 
            The ninth hour (vv. 34-41):  “34  At the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, "ELOI, ELOI, LAMA SABACHTHANI?" which is translated, "MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?" 35  When some of the bystanders heard it, they began saying, "Behold, He is calling for Elijah." 36  Someone ran and filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on a reed, and gave Him a drink, saying, "Let us see whether Elijah will come to take Him down." 37  And Jesus uttered a loud cry, and breathed His last. 38  And the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. 39  When the centurion, who was standing right in front of Him, saw the way He breathed His last, he said, "Truly this man was the Son of God!" 40  There were also some women looking on from a distance, among whom were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the Less and Joses, and Salome. 41  When He was in Galilee, they used to follow Him and minister to Him; and there were many other women who came up with Him to Jerusalem.”
            In our church services when we partake of the Lord’s Supper our Pastor has been going over the seven statemens that Jesus spoke while on the cross of which three of them came before the darkness came upon the place where Jesus was crucified and four after the darkness went away.  “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34); “Today shalt thou be with Me in paradise” (Luke 23:43); and “Woman, behold thy son!...Behold thy mother!” (John 19:26-27).  During the darkness there was silence from the cross, for this was the time when the Father was pouring out His wrath upon the Son for the sins of those who would come to know Him as Lord and Savior:  “He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him (2Cor. 5:21).”
            Dr. Wiersbe points out that “At the ninth hour, Jesus expressed the agony of His soul when He cried out from the cross ‘My God, My God, why has thou forsake Me?’ (See Ps. 22:1)  The darkness symbolized the judgment Jesus experienced when the Father forsook Him.  As was so often the case, the people did not understand His words; they though He was calling for Elijah the prophet.  There was not only darkness over the land, but there was darkness in the minds and hearts of the people (2Cor. 4:3-6; John  3:16-21; 12:35-41).”
            Jesus’ next words came were to fulfill the prophecy given in Psalm 69:21 which reads, “They also gave me gall for my food And for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.”  Jesus said “I thirst” and a kind soldier gave Him a drink of vinegar.  Next we see two wonderful statements “It is finished” and “Father into Thy hands I commit My Spirit (Luke 23:46; see also Psalm 31:5):  “Into Your hand I commit my spirit; You have ransomed me, O LORD, God of truth.”
            I want to go back to the first Words recorded by Jesus that we find in the Scriptures and they came while He was in the temple at the age of twelve when His mother and father were looking for Him.  They were very upset parents as they searched the city of Jerusalem looking for the twelve year old Jesus.  Jesus however, was in the temple sitting among the teachers and talking to them.  When His parents came in to the temple they expressed how worried they were and Jesus told them that He was about His Father’s business.  Now as we come to the cross we see that the words from His lips that it is finished means that He had finished His Father’s business and so He gave up the ghost and died.  The word’s “It is finished” come from John 19:30 and the Greek word, for there is only one word in the Greek is “teleo tel-eh’-o” and in the Greek/English dictionary we read “"It is finished or paid" #John 19:30 Christ satisfied God’s justice by dying for all to pay for the sins of the elect. These sins can never be punished again since that would violate God’s justice. Sins can only be punished once, either by a substitute or by yourself.”  When a person was in prison during that time paying for his crimes, and then was released they would mark that word on the papers they gave him when released, meaning that his crime was paid for and he could not be charged for it again.
            Next we look at the last words Jesus spoke while on the cross and that was “Into thy hands I commit My spirit.”  One thing we have to realize is that Jesus was not murdered, for He was willing to lay down His life for His sheep as He spoke in John ten.  Let’s look at these statements that Jesus spoke from John ten:  “"I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. (vs. 11)  “even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. (vs. 15)  “17  "For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again.  18  "No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.’”  So how did Christ die?  After listening to a sermon by John MacArthur on the verses we are looking at today he stated that it was possible that the heart of Jesus burst.  There must have been something dramatic that happened to Him for the centurion stated that this man was the Son of God just by seeing how He breathed His last.  Psalm 38:8 says “I am benumbed and badly crushed; I groan because of the agitation of my heart.”  Perhaps this was prophesying how the Messiah would die.
            We also know that as soon as the Lord Jesus Christ died that the veil in the temple was torn in two from the top to the bottom.  This was the veil that separated the holy place from the holy of holies.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “The veil had separated man from God, but now, through His death, Jesus had opened for the whole world a ‘new and living way ‘(Heb. 10:12-22; also see John 14:6). 
            We also know from the book of Matthew that there was an earthquake and it opened the graves of those who had died and they came to life again: “50 ¶  And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit. 51  And behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth shook and the rocks were split. 52  The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; 53  and coming out of the tombs after His resurrection they entered the holy city and appeared to many (Matthew 27:50-53).”
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  As I look at the death of my Lord Jesus Christ and have been looking at it for some time now, I surely have mixed emotions.  I am saddened that He had to die such a horrible death, but glade that His death was not in vain, for by His life, death, and resurrection I have become one of His children. It is important to me to be able to spread the good news of the Gospel, to tell others how they too, can receive the Lord Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord.  Paul writes to the Corinthians these words:  “1 ¶  Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2  by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. 3  For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4  and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, (1Cor. 15:1-4).”
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Spread the good news of the Gospel to those that the Spirit of God brings into my path.
Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 32:1
            1 How blessed is he whose transgression is forgive, whose sin is covered.
Turning Points Wisdom for Today:  “Fear knocked, faith answered, no one was there.”  (Author Unknown)  “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”  2Tmothy 1:7)
2/9/2013 10:28 AM
           

No comments:

Post a Comment