Monday, October 7, 2013

Daniel the Prophet PT-1 (Daniel 8:1-2)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/7/2013 12:32 PM

My Worship Time                                                                         Focus:  Daniel the Prophet PT-1

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Daniel 8:1-2

            Message of the verses:  We begin today looking at the 8th chapter of the book of Daniel, as this is the chapter that we will be looking at in the month of October. 

            Just a bit of review before we begin to look at this section of Scripture, and that is that from the 2nd chapter of Daniel and verse four all the way through chapter seven and the last verse of that chapter Daniel was writing in Aramaic, the language of the Babylonians, and now in chapter eight and verse one all the way through the end of the book the language is again Hebrew. Why? Well the subject in these final five chapters is about the Gentiles and how they will affect the people of God, the Israelites.  The part written in Aramaic was about the Gentile nations, but not necessarily the way that they treated the children of Israel.  Another thing to point out is that this chapter was written before the event that took place in chapter five, which was the conquering of Babylon by the Medes and the Persians, and the reasons we stated as to why the language was Hebrew probably is the same reason as to why the order in which Daniel placed the books in his book.  I realize that there were no chapter and verses at the time of the writing, but the order in which it was written is the same order that those who put the chapters in found it.

            Dr. Wiersbe writes the following at the end of his introductory message on this chapter:  “In this chapter, five persons move across the great stage of prophecy and history.”

            Receiving the vision (Daniel 8:1-2):  “1 In the third year of the reign of Belshazzar the king a vision appeared to me, Daniel, subsequent to the one which appeared to me previously. 2 I looked in the vision, and while I was looking I was in the citadel of Susa, which is in the province of Elam; and I looked in the vision and I myself was beside the Ulai Canal.”

            It is not know how much diplomatic things that Daniel was doing for Belshazzar, for when we look at chapter five we see that Belshazzar did not even really know Daniel, although he had heard of Him.  What he was doing at this time we have no idea, but he was still in Babylon at the time of this vision.  Daniel was probably transported in this vision to the city of Susa a city that was 200 miles southeast of Babylon, and city that became the capital of the Persian Empire as we see in Nehemiah 1:1 and also Ester 1:2.  According to John MacArthur there is still a small town today near the spot that Susa was during the time of Daniel.  Daniel mentions that there was a “Canal” that flowed through this city, and in the KJV the word is translated as river, and this is the only time that this particular word is used in the Bible.  John MacArthur states that this canal was about 900 feet wide, so it was a pretty big canal. 

            As far s Daniel being transported to this city in the vision he had this is not too hard for us to believe, for it has happened in other places in the Bible:  “1 It came about in the sixth year, on the fifth day of the sixth month, as I was sitting in my house with the elders of Judah sitting before me, that the hand of the Lord GOD fell on me there. 2  Then I looked, and behold, a likeness as the appearance of a man; from His loins and downward there was the appearance of fire, and from His loins and upward the appearance of brightness, like the appearance of glowing metal. 3  He stretched out the form of a hand and caught me by a lock of my head; and the Spirit lifted me up between earth and heaven and brought me in the visions of God to Jerusalem, to the entrance of the north gate of the inner court, where the seat of the idol of jealousy, which provokes to jealousy, was located (Ezekiel 8:1-4).”  “3 And he carried me away in the Spirit into a wilderness; and I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast, full of blasphemous names, having seven heads and ten horns (Rev. 17:3).”  “10  And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God (Rev. 21:10).”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I like the way that Daniel is written, for we can see that the Holy Spirit put the contents of this book in the order that He wanted them to be put into so that they would make the most sense to those who read and study it.  God does that in my life too as He brings things into my life at the exact time and place He wants to so that I can learn and grow from those these things.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I need to be patient in my trust for the Lord in a circumstance that I am going through, wait for the Lord.  This is not an easy thing to do.

Memory verses for the week:  2 Peter 1:1-7

            1 Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:  2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; 3 seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.  4 For by these He granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.  5 Now for this reason also, applying all diligence in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, 6 and in your knowledge self-control, and in your self-control perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, 7 and in your godliness brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness love.

Answer to our last Bible Question:  “The life and teaching of Jesus Christ.”

Today’s Bible Question:  “When Joseph’s brother’s returned home from Egypt the first time, what did they find in their sacks?

Answer will be in our next SD.

10/7/2013 1:20 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment