Thursday, December 12, 2013

God's Long-suffering & other Attributes (Isaiah 57:14-21)

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/12/2013 11:49 AM
My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  The Proud & Greedy
Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Isaiah 57:14-21
            Message of the verses:  We are looking at the third sub-point under the third main point in Dr. Warren Wiersbe’s outline from the twelfth chapter of his commentary on the book of Isaiah, which he entitles “Be Comforted.”  This third main point is entitled “Accusation Against the Sinners,” and in this section we are looking at different people groups whom Isaiah brings an indictment against. The indictment in today’s SD is against the proud and the greedy.
            The Proud & Greedy (Isaiah 57:14-21):  “14 And it will be said, "Build up, build up, prepare the way, Remove every obstacle out of the way of My people." 15 For thus says the high and exalted One Who lives forever, whose name is Holy, "I dwell on a high and holy place, And also with the contrite and lowly of spirit In order to revive the spirit of the lowly And to revive the heart of the contrite. 16 “For I will not contend forever, Nor will I always be angry; For the spirit would grow faint before Me, And the breath of those whom I have made.
    17 "Because of the iniquity of his unjust gain I was angry and struck him; I hid My face and was angry, And he went on turning away, in the way of his heart. 18 “I have seen his ways, but I will heal him; I will lead him and restore comfort to him and to his mourners, 19 Creating the praise of the lips. Peace, peace to him who is far and to him who is near," Says the LORD, "and I will heal him." 20 But the wicked are like the tossing sea, For it cannot be quiet, And its waters toss up refuse and mud. 21 “There is no peace," says my God, "for the wicked.’”
            The more I study the prophecies that come from the OT, especially the ones that speak of Israel going into captivity, and then returning to their land 70 years later, the more I see that many of these prophecies are not just speaking of Israel returning to Israel from Babylon, but also are speaking of the kingdom age which takes place after the seven years of tribulation that will be so very difficult for the nation of Israel. This passage has pictures of both times in view and it also contains an incitement against those who are wicked as we see in the last two verses of chapter 57. 
            We also see much said about the Lord God in the first part of this section (verses 14-16), and when I look at these verses I cannot help but praise the Lord for who He is, for this section describes His holiness, and the fact that He dwells in a high and holy place, for God cannot even look at sin.  I have highlighted a part of verse sixteen which shows that God be angry, and yet because of His love and compassion, grace and mercy will not always be angry.  At the end of verse sixteen we see something about God’s creation as He made man, and put the breath of life into man.  We also see something about the longsuffering of God in verse sixteen, for that is also a part of the attributes of God.
                        Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I so much enjoy reading about the different attributes of God, and one of the reasons that I like to study about them is because as I see the different attributes of God in Scripture I see reasons why I want to worship the Lord.  The following are some of the attributes of God that I try to praise Him for each day:  “God is holy, glorious, sovereign, good, gracious, merciful, long-suffering, truth, measureless, omnipresence, omnipotent, omniscience, all wise, immutable (unchangeable), wrath, God who pardons, God who is Jealous, faithful, who is love & just.”  This list is taken from my prayer list, which was taken from different books that I have read about the attributes of God.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to praise the Lord for who He is, and also what He has done for me.
Answer to yesterday’s Bible Question:  “Saul” (1 Samuel 9:21).
Today’s Bible Question:  “The walls of what city fell down by faith after being emcompassed seven days?”
Answer in our next SD.
12/12/2013 12:51 PM
  


            

No comments:

Post a Comment