Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Last SD for 2013 "The Blessing of a New Creation PT-2" (Isaiah 65:8-25)

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/31/2013 9:12 PM
My Worship Time                                                    Focus:  The Blessing of a New Creation PT-2
Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Isaiah 65:8-25
            Message of the verses:  It was because the children of Israel turned down what the Lord had to offer them as far as salvation, He turned to the Gentiles which we talked about in our last SD.  Next God describes the sins of His people that kept Him from answering their prayers to Him which are covered in verses 8-25.
            “8 Thus says the LORD, "As the new wine is found in the cluster, And one says, ’Do not destroy it, for there is benefit in it,’ So I will act on behalf of My servants In order not to destroy all of them. 9 “I will bring forth offspring from Jacob, And an heir of My mountains from Judah; Even My chosen ones shall inherit it, And My servants will dwell there. 10 “Sharon will be a pasture land for flocks, And the valley of Achor a resting place for herds, For My people who seek Me.
    “11"But you who forsake the LORD, Who forget My holy mountain, Who set a table for Fortune, And who fill cups with mixed wine for Destiny, 12 I will destine you for the sword, And all of you will bow down to the slaughter. Because I called, but you did not answer; I spoke, but you did not hear. And you did evil in My sight And chose that in which I did not delight." 13 Therefore, thus says the Lord GOD, "Behold, My servants will eat, but you will be hungry. Behold, My servants will drink, but you will be thirsty. Behold, My servants will rejoice, but you will be put to shame. 14 “Behold, My servants will shout joyfully with a glad heart, But you will cry out with a heavy heart, And you will wail with a broken spirit. 15 “You will leave your name for a curse to My chosen ones, And the Lord GOD will slay you. But My servants will be called by another name. 16 “Because he who is blessed in the earth Will be blessed by the God of truth; And he who swears in the earth Will swear by the God of truth; Because the former troubles are forgotten, And because they are hidden from My sight!
    “17 "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind. 18 “But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create; For behold, I create Jerusalem for rejoicing And her people for gladness. 19 “I will also rejoice in Jerusalem and be glad in My people; And there will no longer be heard in her The voice of weeping and the sound of crying. 20  "No longer will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, Or an old man who does not live out his days; For the youth will die at the age of one hundred And the one who does not reach the age of one hundred Will be thought accursed. 21  "They will build houses and inhabit them; They will also plant vineyards and eat their fruit. 22 “They will not build and another inhabit, They will not plant and another eat; For as the lifetime of a tree, so will be the days of My people, And My chosen ones will wear out the work of their hands. 23 “They will not labor in vain, Or bear children for calamity; For they are the offspring of those blessed by the LORD, And their descendants with them. 24 “It will also come to pass that before they call, I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear. 25 “The wolf and the lamb will graze together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox; and dust will be the serpent’s food. They will do no evil or harm in all My holy mountain," says the LORD.”
            Dr. Wiersbe writes “They resisted His grace and His loving appeals, though He held out His arms to them and spoke to them through His Word (Romans 10:21).  They went their own way (Isaiah 53:6) and provoked Him with their evil worship of false gods, getting involved with the occult and demons.  They ate food that was unclean and openly worshiped idols in the high places.  And yet these rebellious people considered themselves to be better than others!  ‘I am holier than thou!’”
            In verses 65:8-16 God explains that He had to judge the nation for hers sins as He called the Babylonians to be His instrument for punishing them.  Israel did learn while they were punished in Babylon that they should not worship idols any more, but other sins they would commit as seen when the Lord Jesus Christ walked the earth in Israel, for after all the killed the King of Glory an awful sin that they are still paying for. 
            Verse 65:10 speaks of the valley of Achor and this is where Achan was stoned to death as described in Joshua chapter seven.  Achan was stoned for disobeying the Lord as he committed the sin of covetousness and stealing.  In Hosea 2:15 we read “"Then I will give her her vineyards from there, And the valley of Achor as a door of hope. And she will sing there as in the days of her youth, As in the day when she came up from the land of Egypt.”  This verse also speaks of the valley of Achor in the distant future from Hosea’s writings. 
            As we look at verses 11-16 we see that Isaiah writes of two different kinds of people in the land, first those who forsake the Lord, and next those who serve the Lord as spoken of by the term “My Servant.” 
            Dr. Wiersbe writes “God saves the best for the last:  His description of ‘the new heavens and new earth’ (the millennial kingdom” in 65:17-66:24.”  This is different from what John describes in Revelations 21:1ff, and the reason we know this is because the characteristics Isaiah gives do not fit the eternal state which John describes.
            Dr. Wiersbe finishes his commentary on this section with these words:  “Jerusalem will be a source of joy, not only to the Lord but to the whole earth.  It will be a city of holiness, harmony, and happiness.  During the millennial kingdom, people will work, and God will bless their labors.  People will pray, and God will answer (v.24).  Nations will be at peace (vs. 25) because the curse will be lifted.”
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  We can see a pattern in this section that kind of goes along with what is still going on in the lives of the children of Israel, something that Christ also went through and that is first the suffering and then the glory.  We also see something that Dr. Wiersbe has pointed out through a quote from an old Scottish preacher who said “the successful Christian life is a series of new beginnings.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  As the year 2013 draws to a close I am thankful that we are one more year closer to the return of the Lord Jesus Christ to the clouds above the earth where He will take His bride back to heaven to be with Him and then return with Him at the end of the tribulation period.  I surely look forward to that day, hoping that 2014 will be the year that this happens.
Answer to our last Bible Question:  “Hannah” (1 Samuel 1:27).
Today’s Bible Question:  “Where did Amalek fight with Israel?”  
Answer in our next SD.

12/31/2013 9:46 PM 

No comments:

Post a Comment