Sunday, December 8, 2013

Invitation to the Gentiles PT-2 (Isaiah 55:6-13)

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/8/2013 8:57 AM
My Worship Time                                                               Focus:  Invitation to the Gentiles PT-2
Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Isaiah 55:6-13
            Message of the verses:  We are looking at the second sub-section of the second main section of Dr. Wiersbe’s outline, and this second main section converses Isaiah 55:-56:8.
            Seek (Isaiah 55:6-13):  “6 Seek the LORD while He may be found; Call upon Him while He is near. 7 Let the wicked forsake his way And the unrighteous man his thoughts; And let him return to the LORD, And He will have compassion on him, And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon. 8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. 9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts. 10 “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; 11 So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it. 12 “For you will go out with joy And be led forth with peace; The mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you, And all the trees of the field will clap their hands. 13 "Instead of the thorn bush the cypress will come up, And instead of the nettle the myrtle will come up, And it will be a memorial to the LORD, For an everlasting sign which will not be cut off.’”
            I want to tell a little story that I think will help us better understand verse six.  When I was working at my regular job that I worked at for 35 years, and after I became a believer which happened in January of 1974 I was eating lunch with some of the men that I worked with.  I began to talk about thing of the Lord to the men at the lunch table, telling them about the Gospel.  One of the men began to tell me about when he was in his home town and home state, about a time when he went into a church service where the Gospel was preached.  He felt drawn to go forward after the service, but chose not to do so.  He then stated that all the way home he seemed to be haunted by not going forward to accept the Lord.  Isaiah says that we are to seek the Lord while He may be found, I can’t tell you whether or not this man ever came to have a personal relationship with the Lord or not, but according to his story it seemed that the Lord was near to Him that night at the church.  Look at the parable that Jesus told in Luke 14:16-24 and also look at Proverbs 1:20 which says “Wisdom calls aloud in the street; she raises her voice in the public squares.”  Wisdom speaks of the Lord.  Paul writes the following in 2 Cor. 6:2 “for He says, "AT THE ACCEPTABLE TIME I LISTENED TO YOU, AND ON THE DAY OF SALVATION I HELPED YOU." Behold, now is "THE ACCEPTABLE TIME," behold, now is "THE DAY OF SALVATION’”
           
            Verse seven speaks of the wicked or unrighteous person forsake his unrighteousness and wickedness, and notice that part of those wicked things he was doing was in his thoughts.  Then Isaiah tells him to return to the Lord.
            Before we get too far into these verses it would be good to say that one of the reasons that God brought His people, Israel back to their land was so that they could witness to the nations around them.  When we look at the spiritual condition of the Jews living in Israel when Jesus was ministering to them they wanted little to do with other nations, for they thought that Gentiles were not good enough to even talk too.  Remember in Acts chapter ten that Peter had to explain himself as to why he even went into a Gentile home.  Israel had many advantages given to them by the Lord, and yet they misunderstood many of these advantages including the privilege of having the Messiah born into their race as the son of David. 
            We can see from verse eight and nine that it is not a good idea to second guess the Lord for His thoughts are not our thoughts.  One of the attributes is that He is all knowing and also all wise.  I think of God’s holiness when looking at verse nine, for there is no one like the Lord.   Try explaining what grace is to someone who is not a true believer and you may not get too far.  Here on earth most people believe you get what you work for, but that is not the case when it comes to the grace of God, for it is by grace through faith that we are saved, and this is not of our own so that no one can get to heaven and brag about how they got there.
            Now let us look at verses 10-11 with this question in mind:  How does God go about calling and saving lost sinners?  “10 “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; 11 So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.”   The answer is the Word of God.  Let us look at Hebrews 4:12 and how the author speaks about the Word of God there “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”  We see here that it is the powerful Word of God that the Holy Spirit will use to give His call to unbelievers.  It may take a while when a people hear the Word of God for them to come to know Him, but that is what the Holy Spirit will use when saving an unsaved person.  That person may remember a verse of Scripture they learned when they were very young that the Spirit of God will use to show him of the need for the Savior. 
            Dr. Wiersbe concludes this sub-section by writing “Isaiah 55:12-13 describes both the joy of the exiles on their release from captivity and the joy of Israel when they share in the ‘glorious exodus’ in the end of the age and return to their land.  When the kingdom is established, all of nature will sing to the Lord (32:13; 35:1-2; 44:23; 52:8-9).”  
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  It has been a joy to read these wonderful verses in the book of Isaiah today.  I began this SD in the morning before I attended church services and it was a joy to read them then, and then another joy of reading them as I finished this SD.  One of the important things that I have been reminded of as of late was the God uses His Word to call unbelievers to Himself.  I am praying for a neighbor that I want to begin a Bible Study after the first of the year so that I can show him from the Word of God how he can be saved.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust that the Lord will see me through some physical tests that I have to go through in the morning.  Trust He will calm my heart.
Answer to yesterday’s Bible Question:  “Gold and Silver.”
Today’s Bible Question:  “How many of Pharaoh’s army was destroyed in the sea?”
Answer in our next SD.
12/8/2013 9:09 PM
           
           

            

No comments:

Post a Comment