Sunday, June 22, 2014

Jeremiah Writes Some Letters PT-2 (Jeremiah 29:15-23)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/22/2014 8:04 PM

My Worship Time                                                      Focus:  Jeremiah Writes some Letters PT-2

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Jeremiah 29:15-23

            Message of the verses:  What we are looking at in this SD is a letter concerning Jewish false prophets in Babylon to which Jeremiah replied and Dr. Wiersbe entitles this sub-point “Jeremiah’s word of explanation.”

            “15  "Because you have said, ’The LORD has raised up prophets for us in Babylon’- 16  for thus says the LORD concerning the king who sits on the throne of David, and concerning all the people who dwell in this city, your brothers who did not go with you into exile- 17  thus says the LORD of hosts, ’Behold, I am sending upon them the sword, famine and pestilence, and I will make them like split-open figs that cannot be eaten due to rottenness. 18 ’I will pursue them with the sword, with famine and with pestilence; and I will make them a terror to all the kingdoms of the earth, to be a curse and a horror and a hissing, and a reproach among all the nations where I have driven them, 19 because they have not listened to My words,’ declares the LORD, ’which I sent to them again and again by My servants the prophets; but you did not listen,’ declares the LORD. 20  "You, therefore, hear the word of the LORD, all you exiles, whom I have sent away from Jerusalem to Babylon. 21  "Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, concerning Ahab the son of Kolaiah and concerning Zedekiah the son of Maaseiah, who are prophesying to you falsely in My name, ’Behold, I will deliver them into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and he will slay them before your eyes. 22  ’Because of them a curse will be used by all the exiles from Judah who are in Babylon, saying, "May the LORD make you like Zedekiah and like Ahab, whom the king of Babylon roasted in the fire, 23  because they have acted foolishly in Israel, and have committed adultery with their neighbors’ wives and have spoken words in My name falsely, which I did not command them; and I am He who knows and am a witness," declares the LORD.’"”

            It wasn’t bad enough to have false prophets in Jerusalem, but now we find them among the exiles that Nebuchadnezzar took from Jerusalem.  I am not sure which date that they were taken either 605 or 597, but they were there spreading their poison among the exiles and the word got back to Jeremiah.  God told Jeremiah that he was going to deal with two of these prophets by having Nebuchadnezzar roast them in a fire.  This reminds me of chapter three of Daniel’s book where Daniel’s three friends would be put into the fire because they would not bow down to Nebuchadnezzar’s god.  The difference is that these false prophets were bowing down to a false god and probably did not even know it and so they died for their sins against the Lord and would also become a proverb in Israel for a warning not to rebel against the Word of God.

            I see the problem here is that the people did not know what the Word of God had to say about why they were in exile and how long they would be in exile.  Jeremiah told them two times in his book that they would be in exile for 70 years, both in Jeremiah 25:11 and also in Jeremiah 29:10.  Daniel had a copy of the book of Jeremiah so we know that it was available to the exiles, at least some of them.  God’s long-suffering had run its course and therefore those who were in exile were actually better off than those left in Jerusalem, for God called them spoiled figs unable to be eaten.  We can surely see the hard hardiness of the people.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  In both messages at our church today we heard about the sinfulness of the people of Israel, and it was compared to the sinfulness of the people of our country.  I am not saying that we are as bad as they were, however we have had just as much of the Word of God and probably more than they did.  Too much is given much is required.  I used to be pretty hard on what the people of Israel did especially when they were coming out of Egypt and had just seen ten miracles done by the Lord and then had all of the trouble after that in trusting the Lord.  I don’t think that I can be so hard on them as I once was for I am not sure that in some of the cases I would have been a lot different.  I have had the greatest miracle done to me which is the gift of salvation and I don’t always trust the Lord near as much as I should have.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to get me through some difficult problems that I am facing. 

Memory verses for the week:  Philippians 2:5-10

5 Have this attitude in yourself which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking on the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.  8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by being obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.  9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on the earth and under the earth,

Answer to yesterdays Bible question:  “Jericho” (Luke 9:1-2).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who became the husband of Mary the mother of Jesus?”

Answer in our next SD.

6/22/2014 9:00 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment