Saturday, June 28, 2014

Reconciliation: A New People PT-2 (Jeremiah 31:2-20)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/28/2014 9:50 AM

My Worship Time                                                      Focus:  Reconciliation: A New People PT-2

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Jeremiah 31:2-20

            Message of the verses:  We move this morning into our second sub-point from chapter 31 of Jeremiah.

            A Restored Israel (Jeremiah 2:2-20):  “2 Thus says the LORD, "The people who survived the sword Found grace in the wilderness- Israel, when it went to find its rest." 3 The LORD appeared to him from afar, saying, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness. 4 “Again I will build you and you will be rebuilt, O virgin of Israel! Again you will take up your tambourines, And go forth to the dances of the merrymakers. 5 “Again you will plant vineyards On the hills of Samaria; The planters will plant And will enjoy them. 6 “For there will be a day when watchmen On the hills of Ephraim call out, ’Arise, and let us go up to Zion, To the LORD our God.’" 7 For thus says the LORD, "Sing aloud with gladness for Jacob, And shout among the chief of the nations; Proclaim, give praise and say, ’O LORD, save Your people, The remnant of Israel.’ 8 "Behold, I am bringing them from the north country, And I will gather them from the remote parts of the earth, Among them the blind and the lame, The woman with child and she who is in labor with child, together; A great company, they will return here. 9  "With weeping they will come, And by supplication I will lead them; I will make them walk by streams of waters, On a straight path in which they will not stumble; For I am a father to Israel, And Ephraim is My firstborn."

            “10 Hear the word of the LORD, O nations, And declare in the coastlands afar off, And say, "He who scattered Israel will gather him And keep him as a shepherd keeps his flock." 11 For the LORD has ransomed Jacob And redeemed him from the hand of him who was stronger than he. 12 “They will come and shout for joy on the height of Zion, And they will be radiant over the bounty of the LORD-Over the grain and the new wine and the oil, And over the young of the flock and the herd; And their life will be like a watered garden, And they will never languish again. 13 “Then the virgin will rejoice in the dance, And the young men and the old, together, For I will turn their mourning into joy And will comfort them and give them joy for their sorrow. 14 “I will fill the soul of the priests with abundance, And My people will be satisfied with My goodness," declares the LORD. 15 Thus says the LORD, "A voice is heard in Ramah, Lamentation and bitter weeping. Rachel is weeping for her children; She refuses to be comforted for her children, Because they are no more." 16 Thus says the LORD, "Restrain your voice from weeping And your eyes from tears; For your work will be rewarded," declares the LORD, "And they will return from the land of the enemy. 17 “There is hope for your future," declares the LORD, "And your children will return to their own territory.  18 "I have surely heard Ephraim grieving, ’You have chastised me, and I was chastised, Like an untrained calf; Bring me back that I may be restored, For You are the LORD my God. 19 ’For after I turned back, I repented; And after I was instructed, I smote on my thigh; I was ashamed and also humiliated Because I bore the reproach of my youth.’ 20 “Is Ephraim My dear son? Is he a delightful child? Indeed, as often as I have spoken against him, I certainly still remember him; Therefore My heart yearns for him; I will surely have mercy on him," declares the LORD.”

            It was in 722 BC that the Assyrians captured the Northern Kingdom of Israel and lead them into captivity.  According to 2 Kings chapter seventeen the Assyrians brought some of the people back into the land, but they became a mixed breed of people and were hated by the Jews.  We can see this hatred all the way to when Jesus was on the earth.  When we look at John chapter four we see the story of the Samaritan woman whom became a believer, but as we look at that chapter we can also see that there was a great hatred between the Jews and the Samaritans.  Now as we look at the promises in our section from Jeremiah for today we see that these promises refer to the end times.  I am not so sure that many of the people of Israel know exactly which tribe that they came from today.  However we know that God knows which tribe that they our from as He will call 144,000 that is 12,000 from each of the tribes of Israel to minister during the tribulation period as seen in the 7th chapter of the book of Revelations.  I have mentioned in several of my SD’s that when the nation of Israel was split into two kingdoms that many from the Northern Kingdom moved to the Southern Kingdom because of the false religion that was set up in the North.  The bottom line is that God knows who belongs to what tribe and will have no problem calling the 144,000 during the end times to bring forth the gospel to a dying world.

            These nineteen verses speak of God restoring Israel, that is the 10 tribes of the Northern Kingdom into His family as He speaks to them like a Father to a son, and even calls Ephraim His first born.  Now I want to quote a paragraph from Warren Wiersbe’s commentary and then an endnote to finish this part of this SD.

            “Matthew later referred to verses 15-17 (Matthew 2:16-18).  Rachel was the mother of Joseph and Benjamin, and Joseph was the father of Ephraim and Manasseh, the two leading tribes in the Northern Kingdom (Gen. 30:22-24).  Jeremiah heard Rachel weeping at Ramah, where the Jewish prisoners were assembled for their long journey to Babylon (Jer. 40:1).  Her descendants through Joseph had been captured by the Assyrians, and now her descendants through Benjamin (the Southern Kingdom) were going to Babylon.  Her labor as a mother had been in vain!  (Remember, Rachel died giving birth to Benjamin.)  But God assured her that both Ephraim and Judah will be restored (31:16-17), and therefore her sacrifices will not be in vain!”

            “How does this relate to Matthew’s quotation?  As Rachel died she named her son Ben-oni, which means ‘son of my sorrow,’ but Jacob named him Benjamin, ‘Son of my right hand,’ (Gen. 35:16-20).  In His humiliation and suffering, Jesus Christ is the man of sorrows, but in His exaltation and glory, He is the Son of God’s right hand (Acts 2:22-36).  Jacob made Bethlehem a burial place, but Jesus made it a birthplace!  The Bethlehem mothers, bereft of their sons, wept in despair, but just as God promises comforted Rachel, so their sacrifice would not be in vain.  No matter how many enemies try to destroy Israel, the nation will not perish, for their Messiah reigns and will come one day and deliver His people.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  What I see in this section is the faithfulness of the Lord as He has made a promise to Israel and will keep it so also as He gives promises to the Church, which I am a part of, He will keep those too.  One of the promise that He has made to the church is found in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, a promise that we will begin to study next month, a wonderful promise that one day will take place, and I hope it will be in my life time.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord with all of my heart and do not lean on my own understanding.

Memory verses for the week:  Philippians 2:5-10.

5 Have this attitude in yourself which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking on the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.  8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.  9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on the earth and under the earth,

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Bartimaeus” (Mark 10:47).

Today’s Bible question:  “Where did the Midianites sell Joseph?”

Answer in our next SD.

6/28/2014 10:45 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment