Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Progress and Pressure of Excelling (1 Thess. 4:1c, 2)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/4/2014 8:31 AM

My Worship Time                                                 Focus:  The Progress and Pressure of Excelling

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  1Thess. 4:1c, 2

            Message of the verses:  “(just as you actually do walk), that you excel still more.  2 For you know what commandments we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.”

            I have been going over the actual sermon that John MacArthur gave on these two verses back in 1990 looking for a grammatical part that he spoke about, and to be perfectly honest I could not find it and also it was something that I had a difficulty in understanding.  It was suppose to go in yesterday’s SD, but because I did not understand it I did not include it.  I will continue to look for the section in the sermon and perhaps get some help from my Pastor so that I can better understand it and then comment on it in a latter SD.

            As we begin today’s SD we will be discussing the fact that our walk with the Lord, and we call this walk with the Lord part of our sanctification process as we continue to grow in the Lord.  It does not happen overnight and I can give two examples of this, one from the title of a book by Chuck Swindoll which is called “Two Steps Forward, One Step Back,” and the other is more familiar to us and that is “The successful Christian life is a series of new beginnings.”  If we were looking at a graph on our Spiritual growth it probably will have peaks and valleys, but looking at the overall progress it should be going upward.  Paul calls our relationship with the Lord a “walk” and that is surely a good way to describe it.  When we are first saved we then begin to go on a walk with the Lord.  The book of Genesis has a good description of this when we read “Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him (Genesis 5:24).”  When I was a new believer I was listening to a sermon by my pastor who spoke on the subject of Enoch and he said that every day he would walk with God and one day God said that we are closer to my home than yours so just come home with me.  That is the goal of our walk with the Lord, to get closer to knowing the Lord, not just to know about His Word, but use His Word to know about Him.  This is what Paul is telling the Thessalonians when he tells them “to excel still more.”  They were surely a model church, not like the church at Galatia where he stated you began really well, but what happened to you.  Paul wrote to the Corinthian church “24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26  Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 27  but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.”

            John MacArthur writes:  “The pressure for the Thessalonians to stay on the path of righteousness and excel more and more in their walk with Christ derived from the fact that they knew what commandments Paul gave them by the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Christ Himself authorized Paul’s exhortation to the church in Thessalonica.  Commandments (parangelias) refers to strong, authoritative directives delivered by a commanding officer to his subordinates.  That meant the church could not take the apostle’s admonition lightly.  He not only reminded them of the various commandments he gave them, as he implicitly did concerning his earlier instructions to them, but he also reminded them of the divine authority by which he ministered.  Paul’s directions did not originate from some arbitrary human sanction or some remote ecclesiastical authority.  Instead, they came from the authority of the Lord Jesus, and obedience to them was mandatory.” 

            Basically what we are saying here is that if you want to grow you have to know.  If you want to grow up in the Lord you have to know His Word so that you can know Him better, after all what is more important.

            My Steps of Faith for Today:  As I am studying this section of 1 Thessalonians the Lord seems to be impressing to me to get to know Him better.  I have had somewhat of a difficult time in making relationships that are good and lasting, and so I began to think about this today while having my prayer time.  I spoke to the Lord in my prayer time that He is the author of relationships and that the best way to know how to have good relationships is to study from His Word on how to do that.  As I look at the three Persons of the Trinity I see a perfect relationship there and this is a pattern to follow.  

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Work on my relationship with the Lord and also with my wife and friends.

Memory verses for the week:  Philippians 2:5-8

5 Have this attitude in yourself which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking on the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.  8 Being found in appearance of man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Lice” (Exodus 7:12).

Today’s Bible question:  “When should Christians rejoice?”

Answer in our next SD.

6/4/2014 9:12 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment