Monday, June 23, 2014

Jeremiah Writes Some Letters PT-3 (Jeremiah 29:24-32)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/23/2014 9:09 AM

My Worship Time                                                     Focus:  Jeremiah Writes some Letters PT-3

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                Reference:  Jeremiah 29:24-32

            Message of the verses:  Before we get into the text for today’s SD I want to briefly look at Jeremiah 29:4 “"Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon.”  What I want to point out are the highlighted words of this verse, and we can see that God sent each individual person that He desired to send into exile.  God had a purpose for sending each of these individuals into exile and had control over all their circumstances in order to get them to Babylon.  As I thought about this morning it gives me comfort to know that God is in control of my life just as He is in control of all lives on planet earth.  We may not realize this all of the time, but it is surely true.  I have been retired from my main job that I had for almost 35 years and have wanted to move from the house we are living in, but for reasons I will not get into I am still here, and so I must trust the Lord who has kept me here for His reasons, for He is in control.

            Jeremiah’s word of warning (vv. 24-32):  24 To Shemaiah the Nehelamite you shall speak, saying, 25  "Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, ’Because you have sent letters in your own name to all the people who are in Jerusalem, and to Zephaniah the son of Maaseiah, the priest, and to all the priests, saying, 26  "The LORD has made you priest instead of Jehoiada the priest, to be the overseer in the house of the LORD over every madman who prophesies, to put him in the stocks and in the iron collar, 27  now then, why have you not rebuked Jeremiah of Anathoth who prophesies to you? 28 “For he has sent to us in Babylon, saying, ’The exile will be long; build houses and live in them and plant gardens and eat their produce.’"’" 29 Zephaniah the priest read this letter to Jeremiah the prophet. 30  Then came the word of the LORD to Jeremiah, saying, 31  "Send to all the exiles, saying, ’Thus says the LORD concerning Shemaiah the Nehelamite, "Because Shemaiah has prophesied to you, although I did not send him, and he has made you trust in a lie," 32  therefore thus says the LORD, "Behold, I am about to punish Shemaiah the Nehelamite and his descendants; he will not have anyone living among this people, and he will not see the good that I am about to do to My people," declares the LORD, "because he has preached rebellion against the LORD."’"”

            As we end this 29th chapter of Jeremiah we see another letter comes onto the scene, and this letter is from Shemaiah who is another false prophet who went into exile and he wants Jeremiah put into stocks or probably even killed for what Jeremiah is saying about the length of the time of the exile.  The chief temple officer Zephaniah allowed Jeremiah to read this letter which we have seen before “The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD when King Zedekiah sent to him Pashhur the son of Malchijah, and Zephaniah the priest, the son of Maaseiah, saying, (Jeremiah 21:1).  Jeremiah must have been friends with Zephaniah for him to allow Jeremiah to see this letter.  Again we see God punishing another false prophet and this as the death of the other two false prophets which we saw in our last SD should cause the people to believe Jeremiah is a true prophet of the Lord.  We have mentioned before that God has plans for these exiles as when we look at the genealogy of our Lord Jesus Christ we can see that it goes through: “Mt 1:17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; from David to the deportation to Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the deportation to Babylon to the Messiah, fourteen generations.

            We will conclude this portion of this SD with some very insightful words from Warren Wiersbe who ends his eight chapter of his commentary on the book of Jeremiah saying:  “What life does to us depends largely on what life finds in us.  If we seek the Lord and want His best, then circumstances will build us and prepare us for what He has planned.  If we rebel or if we look for quick and easy shortcuts, then circumstances will destroy us and rob us of the future God wants us to enjoy.  The same sun that melts the ice also hardens the clay.

            “God’s thoughts and plans concerning us come from His heart and lead to His peace.  Why look for substitutes?”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I know that I am not always going to do the things that please the Lord even though I desire to do so, but like Paul writes to the Romans “18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. 20  But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me (Romans 7:18-20).” 

My Steps of Faith for Today:    When I fall down I must remember the statement that the old Scottish preacher said “The successful Christian life is a series of new beginnings.”

Memory verses for the week:  Philippians 2:5-9.

5 Have this attitude in yourself which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking on the form of bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.  8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by being obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.  9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth,

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Joseph” (Mark 1:20).

Today’s Bible question:  “Which book tells about Onesimus?”

Answer in our next SD.

6/23/2014 9:48 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment