Friday, February 6, 2015

Jesus Gives His Commands to Thyatira (Rev. 2:24-25)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/6/2015 8:36 AM

My Worship Time                                                   Focus:  Jesus Gives His Command to Thyatira

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Revelation2:24-25

            Message of the verses:  “24  ’But I say to you, the rest who are in Thyatira, who do not hold this teaching, who have not known the deep things of Satan, as they call them-I place no other burden on you. 25 ’Nevertheless what you have, hold fast until I come.”

            In our last SD we saw what the Glorified Christ who knows all things and sees all things said He would do to those who were following the sins of Jezebel that they would be judged for their sin, but now we see the Lord addressing those who have not followed this false teaching and He gives comfort to them.  John MacArthur points out a passage in the book of Malachi in which God also gave comfort to those he was ministering to.  Malachi is the last book in the Old Testament and he ministers to those who had returned from the captivity in Babylon.  He writes “16 Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name. 17 “They will be Mine," says the LORD of hosts, "on the day that I prepare My own possession, and I will spare them as a man spares his own son who serves him."”

            Next we see that Christ defines the believers as those “who have not known the deep things of Satan, as they call them.”  Those who were following Jezebel believed that they could plunge into the deep things of Satan, things like false theology, impurity, licentious, and then come and worship the Lord as if nothing was wrong with that.  This was similar to the Jews during the last days of their kingdom as described in the OT prophets of Jeremiah and Ezekiel.  The Jews had idols that they worshiped on the “high places” and then they would come down to the temple and worship the Lord as if nothing was wrong with that.  As I studied the attributes of God one of them is that God is a Jealous God, and I have mentioned that the kind of Jealousy that God has is not selfish like the kind we humans have.  God deserves to receive all worship and when that does not happen those who are worshiping false gods, it is sin for God will not share His glory with anyone, which is what those in this church were doing, they were sharing God’s glory with the deep things of Satan and it is no wonder that Jesus Christ comes down on them for that.  This kind of thing reminds me of what Paul wrote to the Romans in a number of chapters you will find Paul asking a rhetorical question and then give the answer in the strongest no found in the Greek language.  You can look at the third chapter of Romans for examples of this.  Here are two examples of what I am talking about:  “Ro 6:15  What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!  Ro 7:7  What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, "YOU SHALL NOT COVET."”

            Christ tells those who have not followed those deeper things of Satan, following the practice of Jezebel, that He will place no other burden on them.  He also tells them to hold fast to what you have until I come.  John MacArthur writes “The use of the strong word krateo (hold fast) indicates that it would not be easy.  The coming of Christ as it related to the Thyatira church was His coming to them in judgment.  But in a wider sense, all believers are to ‘cling to what is good’ (Rom. 1:29) until Christ’s return.”

            We have one shorter lesson from this church of Thyatira and then we will have completed the first two chapters of the book of Revelation.  Chapter three has three more churches to look at and two of these last three churches sink down deeper into sin and doing wrong and one is one of the best churches we will study. 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  When I put on the spiritual armor each morning I read a number of times from the 6th chapter of Ephesians “Stand Firm,” and this is what the Lord is saying to those believers in the church at Thyatira and this is what I want to do too.  I am not saying that I do not want to grow more in the Lord, but I am saying that I do not want to go backwards, I want to hold on to what I have.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To love the Lord with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to better understand and apply the love that the Lord has for me in my everyday life.

Memory verses for the week:  2 Peter 1:9-10.

9 For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.  10 Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about your calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Abraham.”

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘let her gleam even among the sheaves, and reproach her not’?”

Answer in our next SD.

2/6/2015 9:14 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment