Thursday, February 19, 2015

Philadelphia's Commendation PT-1 (Rev. 3:8-11a)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/19/2015 10:21 AM

My Worship Time                                                      Focus:  Philadelphia’s Commendation PT-1

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Revelation 3:8-11a

            Message of the verses:  “8 ’I know your deeds. Behold, I have put before you an open door which no one can shut, because you have a little power, and have kept My word, and have not denied My name. 9  ’Behold, I will cause those of the synagogue of Satan, who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie-I will make them come and bow down at your feet, and make them know that I have loved you. 10 ’Because you have kept the word of My perseverance, I also will keep you from the hour of testing, that hour which is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. 11 ’I am coming quickly;”

            We have already mentioned that the Lord found nothing in their deeds that would cause Him any concern, so He goes right into the commendation for this church.  Notice the first words of verse eight “I know your deeds,” and think about this for a minute.  Jesus Christ the all knowing, all seeing God of the church knows our deeds.  Now that can a great deal of discomfort to you or it can cause a great deal of comfort to you, but which every way the fact remains that Jesus Christ knows our deeds.  I have mentioned many times in my Spiritual Diaries that Ephesians 2:10 is a verse that causes me to better understand the God that I serve and I draw strength from it.  “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.  We see here that we were created for doing good works, and we also see that God in eternity past prepared works that we will do for Him.  I believe that the words or as we see in Rev. 3:8, the deeds that Christ knows we are doing are done in the power of the Holy Spirit as we yield to Him so that God will receive the glory for the works (deeds) that He has planned for us to do.  If you look at a hose that would be us and the water that flows through us (the hose) is the Holy Spirit using us to do good works.  Now remember these works are done after our salvation which is seen in verses 8-9 of Ephesians 2.  We can’t work for our salvation, but we work after our salvation.  As we look at the phrase “little power” we can see that this is all we need to accomplish the works that Christ has for us to do, for Christ through the Holy Spirit gives us the power that we have to do these deeds.  One may think that this is a negative comment, but no it is a positive comment for what they had they were using for the cause of Christ.  This church was a very small one, but they had an impact on the city that they lived in.  Remember what Paul said in 2 Cor. 12:10 “Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.”  

            Next we want to look at their obedience as we read you “have kept My word.”  Think about when you were little or perhaps when you had children and you gave them something to do and they did what you wanted them to do, and this brought joy to your heart because they kept your word and obeyed you.  Christ feels the same way as we can see in this verse.  Job writes “"I have not departed from the command of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food (Job. 23:12).”  We saw in Ephesus that those there had lost their first love, but we see here that this church loved the Lord and that is why they were keeping His Word.

            Next we see that they did not deny His name, and this was done in times of persecution that was surrounding them.  Paul said the same thing to the church at Thessalonica, a letter we studied last year.  Paul was concerned that because of the persecution that was going on there and the fact that he only spend a short time with them that they may have fallen to the temptations of Satan, but they did not and this church in Philadelphia did not either.

            John MacArthur writes “Finally, Christ commended the Philadelphia church because its members had kept the word of His perseverance.  The NIV translation clarifies Christ’s meaning:  ‘You have kept my command to endure patiently.’  The Christians at Philadelphia persevered faithfully through all of their trials and difficulties.”

            We see an example of this in the life of Christ as seen by the writer to the Hebrews “1  Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.  4 You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin (Heb. 12:1-4).”  Paul writes about the perseverance of the Thessalonians in 2 Thess. 3:5 “May the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the steadfastness of Christ.”  We will pick up on this subject in our next SD.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  The word “perseverance” has kind of popped up in my life a lot lately.  It seems to me that it is a first cousin of “patience” and both qualities are hard to accomplish, but I must remember that nothing is impossible with God.  “’Ah Lord GOD! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and by Your outstretched arm! Nothing is too difficult for You (Jer. 32:17).”  Sound like a good verse for a song.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To love the Lord with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to better understand the love Christ has for me.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “God stopped the flow of the Jordan while it was flooded” (Joshua 3:14-17).

Today’s Bible question:  “Why did the Jewish council in Jerusalem contend with Peter?”

Answer in our next SD.

2/19/2015 10:57 AM

           

           

No comments:

Post a Comment