Monday, February 2, 2015

Judah, A Doomed People (Ezekiel 22:13-22)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/2/2015 10:09 PM

My Worship Time                                                                       Focus:  Judah A Doomed People

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                Reference:  Ezekiel 22:13-22

            Message of the verses:  “13 “‘I will surely strike my hands together at the unjust gain you have made and at the blood you have shed in your midst. 14 Will your courage endure or your hands be strong in the day I deal with you? I the LORD have spoken, and I will do it. 15 I will disperse you among the nations and scatter you through the countries; and I will put an end to your uncleanness. 16 When you have been defiled in the eyes of the nations, you will know that I am the LORD.’"

    “17 Then the word of the LORD came to me: 18 “Son of man, the house of Israel has become dross to me; all of them are the copper, tin, iron and lead left inside a furnace. They are but the dross of silver. 19 Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: ‘Because you have all become dross, I will gather you into Jerusalem. 20 As men gather silver, copper, iron, lead and tin into a furnace to melt it with a fiery blast, so will I gather you in my anger and my wrath and put you inside the city and melt you. 21 I will gather you and I will blow on you with my fiery wrath, and you will be melted inside her. 22 As silver is melted in a furnace, so you will be melted inside her, and you will know that I the LORD have poured out my wrath upon you.’"”

            One of the problems that we have in our churches today is that people do not know the attributes of God, thus they really do not know God as well as they should.  Many people inside the church today will say things like “God would not do that,” and what they are actually doing is putting God into a box, and this is sinful.  We see in this section God speaking through Ezekiel about His wrath and that He would take His wrath out on those who lived in Judah, especially in Jerusalem.  Wrath is one of the attributes of God along with justice. Now think about this statement “We could not become believers without the wrath and justice of God.”  I say this because when you look at the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and those six hours while He was on the cross in darkness God was taking His wrath that we deserve out on His Son and at the end of that time our Lord gave up His life for us.  God’s justice and wrath were taken out our Jesus Christ and that is how I can say without God’s attributes of wrath and justice no one could be saved.

            In the section we are looking at this evening we see that God’s wrath was taken out on Judah because they had sinned against the Lord and also had broken the covenant that God had with them, so God’s long-suffering ran out and He had to act otherwise His name would be tarnished, and that was not going to ever happen.

            In verses 13-16 we see God would disperse some of His people to other nations, and the people that Ezekiel is talking to are a proof that this had happened.  We see that this was prophesied in Lev. 26:27-39 and in Deut. 28:64-68.  Dr. Wiersbe writes that “God would humiliate His people before the eyes of the Gentiles and through this experience bring His people back to Himself.”

            Next comes the judgment of fire as seen in 22:17-22, the destruction of the Jews beloved city of Jerusalem and also their temple, a temple that was turned into a place where the Jews worshiped idols.  When Ezekiel speaks of dross he is speaking of slag, and I have seen many thousands of tons of slag in my lifetime when working at a foundry.  Slag is what comes of the metal when it is refined in a furnace and the people of Jerusalem though that they were the iron and the slag was the people in exile, but the reverse is true.  We saw another “furnace experience” for Israel when they lived in Egypt, and God used that experience to take a family and turn it into a nation.  However this is different, for this furnace experience is divine judgment on the people of Jerusalem.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “Two key words in this passage are ‘melt’ and ‘gather.’  The people had gathered in Jerusalem for safety, but it was the Lord who gathered them so He could melt them in His furnace as He poured His fury upon them.  The same image will be discussed in Ezekiel 24:1-14.”

2/2/2015 10:37 PM  

No comments:

Post a Comment