Thursday, March 9, 2017

PT-3 "Because They were given to Him from the Father" (John 17:9-10)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/9/2017 10:44 AM

My Worship Time                      Focus: “PT-3 Because they were given to Him from the Father”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 17:9-10

            Message of the verses:  “9  "I ask on their behalf; I do not ask on behalf of the world, but of those whom You have given Me; for they are Yours; 10  and all things that are Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine; and I have been glorified in them.”

            Today we begin by looking at the fact that the disciples, all of them with the exception of Judas were changed from rebellious lovers of the world to become sanctified worshipers and also those who would glory the Lord.  Think for just a moment of who these men were when Jesus called them, and I have to say that I don’t know a lot about their back grounds with the exception of what is found in different places of the Bible.  One was a zealot and wanted to be involved in destroying the Romans, while one was a tax collector who made his living from the Romans, wonder how they got along in the beginning.  Peter, James, and John were fishermen which was a rough life, and probably could be called sinful as Peter asked Jesus to leave because he was a sinful man.  I think we get the picture.  This did take a while as John MacArthur writes “Though regeneration takes place at a moment in time, it is a miracle that was planned in eternity past and that has unending implications for eternity future.  All believers (including the eleven disciples) were chosen and claimed by the Father before the world began and promised to the Son as a tangible expression of His infinite love.  That is the divine side of salvation.  The human side is persevering faith and obedience, by which the disciples had demonstrated that they truly belonged to God.”  Now as we believers read this statement it can give us courage, along with great thankfulness to be a part of the love gift that the Father is giving to His Son.  I realize that we fumble the ball so to speak, but when we look at the disciples who walked with Jesus for three years we also saw that they too fumbled the ball, and during those times we could also see the graciousness of our Lord in the way He handled those situations.

            You know that there be times in your life as a believer that you wonder if you truly are saved, and these times can come after you fumbled the ball many times and you think “am I truly a child of God,” and there are verses written in the Word of God that do ask you to test yourself to see if indeed you are a child of God.  There are also many verses in the Word of God to show you that you truly are a believer.  MacArthur adds “Subjectively, that confidence stems from the fruit of enduring faith and continuing obedience in a person’s life no matter what the temptation or test.  Here the powerful words of Peter:

‘3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.   6 In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, 7 so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 8 and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.’ (1 Peter 1:3-9; cf. John 10:27; 15:10, 14; 1 John 3:21-24; 4:20; 5:4; cf. Rev. 14:12).”

            As a believer I can look back at the almost 27 years of not being a believer and especially in my early teen years I would read the Bible and get absolutely nothing from it, but now I can have an understanding of what the Word of God is saying to me through the power of the Holy Spirit.  My behavior has changed and the Word of God has much to say about it.  I know that as I look back on the day that the Lord saved me that I had become a different person, for He had regenerated me through His Spirit “He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5).”  Let us now look at 1 John 2:3-6:

“3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4  The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.”

            Let us finish the section by once again quoting the ending from John MacArthur:

“Ensuring the preservation of the disciples’ faith is a divine work that the Lord does by His power (cf. John 6:37-40).  Nothing can separate His own from His love (Rom. 8:31-39) and He is willing and ‘able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them’ (Heb. 7:27).

“In the face of His absence in sin-bearing, though only for a few hours, Jesus proceeded to ask the Father to take up the protection of those whom He had given to Him.  Yet, in making that request, Jesus expressed absolute certainty that the Father would do what He asked.  His confidence was not in the disciples’ steadfastness or ingenuity, but in the love and power of His Father (cf. John 10:27-30).  ‘27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. 29 "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. 30 “I and the Father are one."  He knew that what the Father had promised in eternity past He would certainly accomplish and ensure in the present.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  My confidence for the salvation that was given to me is in the Lord, along with my growing in Him.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust that the Lord will keep me faithful in doing my Spiritual Diaries and to teach me from them so that others will also learn from what the Lord is teaching me.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Ester.”

Today’s Bible question:  “What happened to a man who was being buried in Elisha’s sepulcher?”

Answer in our next SD.

3/9/2017 11:25 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment