Thursday, March 16, 2017

PT-3 The Request for Spiritual Protection (John 17:11b-16)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/16/2017 9:54 AM

My Worship Time                                             Focus:  PT-3 The Request for Spiritual Protection

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  John 17:11b-16

            Message of the verses:  “Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are. 12  "While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled. 13 “But now I come to You; and these things I speak in the world so that they may have My joy made full in themselves. 14 “I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 “I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. 16 “They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.”

            In our last Spiritual Diary we were looking at the betrayal of Judas which Jesus speaks of in this prayer as a fulfillment of prophecy, however this was certainly not the only fulfillment of prophecy that took place in the life of Jesus Christ.  In his commentary John MacArthur goes over a fairly long list of fulfilled prophecies that came about in the life of Jesus Christ, which include His birth, parts of His life, His death, and His resurrection.  I have thought about this and have decided to quote this section hoping that those who read this will look up the many verses that are mentioned here and perhaps copy and paste it in order to have it to study because of the importance of this subject:

“The prophetic Scriptures fulfilled in Jesus were certainly much broader than just those that reference Judas.  The Old Testament foretold that the Christ would be a descendant of Abraham (Gen. 22:18), from the tribe of Judah (Gen. 49: 10), of the family of Jesse (Isa. 11:1), in the line of David (Jer. 23:5).  He would be born in Bethlehem (Mic. 5:2), have a forerunner (Isa. 40:3; Mal. 3:1), begin His ministry in Galilee (Isa. 9:1; cf. Matt. 4:12-17), be anointed by the Spirit (Isa. 11:2; cf. Matt. 3:16-17), have a ministry of miracles (Isa. 35:5-6; cf. Matt. 9:35), and bring healing and life to His people (Isa. 61:1-2; cf. Luke 4:18).  At the end of His ministry, He would enter Jerusalem on a donkey (Zech. 9:9; Luke 19:35-37).  Then, having been fully rejected by the Jewish leaders (Ps. 118:22; cf. 1 Peter 2:7), He would be falsely accused (Isa. 53:7; Matt. 27:12), made to suffer (Isa. 53:5-6; cf. Matt. 26:67), and crucified with thieves (Isa. 53:12; cf. Matt. 27:38).  Moreover, His garments would be divided (Ps. 22:18; cf. John 19:23-24), His side pierced (Zech. 12:10; cf. John 19:34), and His body buried in a rich man’s tomb (Isa. 53:9; cf. Matt. 27:57ff.). All of this took place just as it had been foretold by the Old Testament.

“Hence, after His resurrection, Jesus could rebuke two of His followers on the road to Emmaus for not understanding that the Old Testament Scriptures revealed the necessity of His suffering and death (Luke 24:25-26).  As Luke records, ‘Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures (v. 27).  Jesus knew that Judas’s betrayal had been part of the divine plan all along.  Judas did not defect because Jesus failed to protect him.  Rather, Judas fell because he had never been a true disciple of Christ in the first place and was void of spiritual life; and because his role in Jesus’ death was part of God’s sovereignly predetermined plan.”  

            Now we want to look at verse 13 ““But now I come to You; and these things I speak in the world so that they may have My joy made full in themselves.”  Jesus was confident that the Father would protect His disciples and so as we saw earlier in chapter sixteen Jesus speaks of the joy of returning to His Father having the glory that He had before the world began.  Jesus is speaking this prayer in the world to His Father in a place where we believe that His disciples were able to hear this prayer.  Next we want to talk a bit about “His Joy” and this is the third time that evening that He has spoken of the joy that was His legacy to His followers (see and compare John 15:11; and 16:20-24).  As the disciples listened to this prayer and seeing that Jesus was praying for their protection, this would give joy to them.  “33 Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; 34 who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. 35 Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 Just as it is written, "FOR YOUR SAKE WE ARE BEING PUT TO DEATH ALL DAY LONG; WE WERE CONSIDERED AS SHEEP TO BE SLAUGHTERED." 37 But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8:33-39).”  As we look at these very important verses we know that Paul realized and then communicated this truth to his readers which speak of the same protection that Jesus is praying for in our verses from John 17.  The verses from John 17 and Romans 8:33-39 have brought joy to the hearts of believers for almost 2000 years. 

            Now only is Jesus praying that His joy would be made full in the disciples, but in John 10:10 along with 11:25-26 He prayed that the disciples would share in the fullness of His life.  Then in John 14:27 we read “"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.”  So we see He prays for joy and peace, and because He prays for these two things for His disciples it shows His love for them so we see peace, joy, and love.  John 13:1 says “Now before the Feast of the Passover, Jesus knowing that His hour had come that He would depart out of this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.  Look once again at Romans 8:35-39 as written above. 

            There is more to see in this 13th verse, and Lord willing we will look at it in our next SD.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  To know that the Lord loves me and protects me does give me peace.  I have peace with God through the blood of the cross, and the peace of God as seen in Philippians 4:6-7, and that peace is all provided for me because of what Christ did on the cross for me, taking my place to pay for my sins and in exchange give me His righteousness.

 My Steps of Faith for Today:  It is my desire that since I have given myself to the Lord that all of my life is given to Him and I desire not to compartmentalize my life as part belonging to the Lord and at times some belonging to me.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Deuteronomy” (21:11-13).

Today’s Bible question: “What building did Joash order repaired?”

Answer in our next SD.

3/16/2017 10:56 AM  

No comments:

Post a Comment