Monday, March 13, 2017

PT-4 "Intro to John 17:11-19)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/13/2017 11:00 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  PT-4 Intro to John 17:11-19

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  John 17:11-19

            Message of the verses:  “11 "I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are. 12  "While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled. 13 “But now I come to You; and these things I speak in the world so that they may have My joy made full in themselves. 14 “I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 “I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. 16 “They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.  17 "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth. 18 “As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. 19 “For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth.”

            Well we finally come to the last introduction to these very important verses from this very important chapter of this very important book that is found in the Word of God.  As we look at these verses we see that the word “world” is seen many times, speaking of the world system that all people are born into because all people are born sinners, and as we see in these verses that very soon Jesus would no longer be in the world, now He was never a part of the world system, but when He came to earth we know that He was living in the world, the physical world.  Once He would leave the world then His disciples would be alone as He was the One who cared and protected for them while He was here, and now the disciples would be in the world (not system) to live by themselves and this is one of the big reasons for this prayer that the Father would care for them once Jesus leaves the world.  MacArthur writes “His use of the present tense is indicative of the fact that, after the events of the next few hours transpired, His earthly mission would be completed.  The time was no longer future, it had arrived.  He was going away but they were staying behind.  Though they surely wished to go with Him (cf. 14:6), it was critical that, for the time being, they remain and take the gospel to the world (cf. Matt. 28:18-20; John 17:18; Acts 1:7-8).  Since in the plan of God there would have been no church, and no subsequent generations o f believers, if the disciples hand not been left as witnesses to the gospel, this intercession on their behalf is weighty.  It is a means God used for activation His will.”

            Jesus also speaks of the hostility that the world would have for His disciples who were left behind after Jesus goes back to heaven, and that hostility will come to many who are true believes in Jesus Christ.  I have to say that I heard a story a long time ago that I believe was from Hal Lindsey, the author of “The Late Great Planet Earth.”  I was listening to some of his tapes when the Lord spoke to my heart and the Spirit of God gave an effectual call to save me and so after I first became a believer I would listen to more of his tapes and he spoke about a movie that he had seen or someone had seen and told him about it.  The movie was about an alien who came to earth and somehow put something into the brains of certain people on the earth so that they would then belong to the alien.  Now as we look at our Lord coming to earth, and I am not saying that He is an alien, but He came to earth to die for our sins which is what the gospel is all about.  Now all that the Father has given to Him will come to Him as they will be a part of His bride.  All who come to Him are given an effectual call by the Holy Spirit and once that call is made and accepted all are still living in this world and yet they are not a part of this world system, but become hated by this world system just as the Lord says they will be.  So after this call we still live on planet earth, but planet earth is not our home anymore, as we become citizens of heaven and we all have a desire to be with the Lord in heaven because this world is not our home anymore.  One day according to 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 there will be a trumpet played and those who had died who were true believers will have their bodies resurrected, and those who are alive who are believers will also go to be with the Lord in the clouds and then transported to heaven and that trumpet blast will conclude the church age and then shortly after that the seven year tribulation period will begin.  All church age believers will then be in heaven with the Lord in their glorified bodies worshiping and serving the Lord there.  As I was listening to my Bible this morning I listened to some chapters in the book of Numbers and a verse caught my eye I will now share “But when the assembly is to be gathered together, you shall blow a long blast, but you shall not sound an alarm (Numbers 10:7).”  The highlighted part of this verse is what caught my eye making me think of what we call the “Rapture of the Church.”  Numbers 10 speaks of making two trumpets that were to be used to get the attention of the people as they traveled through the wilderness, and one of the blasts was used to gather the people together just like will happen when the Lord returns to receive His church.

            Ok we want to look at the last short paragraph from MacArthur’s commentary which tells us what we will be looking forward to as we begin to study these verses in dept:

“Having established the reasons why He knew the Father would answer His prayer (in vv. 6-10), Jesus now made those tow requests on behalf of His disciples: that they would receive spiritual protection (in vv. 11b-16) and sanctifying purity (in vv. 17-19) from the Father.”  

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  This is such a wonderful chapter to be studying, seeing the Lord praying for all the things He is praying about which shows how much that He cares for me and all who belong to Him.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust that the Lord will continue to keep these important truths that I am learning in my heart.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Jesus” (Luke 8:52).

Today’s Bible question:  “Psalm 23 states ‘Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life’ and that I will dwell where forever?”

Answer in our next SD.

3/13/2017 11:38 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment