Tuesday, July 23, 2019

From Where Do Believer's Sing (Eph. 5:19)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/23/2019 10:10 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                              Focus:  From Where Do Believers Sing

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Eph. 5:19

 

            Message of the verse:  19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord;”

 

            As seen in the highlighted portion of this verse the salvation songs originate “with your heart.”  John MacArthur explains:  “The Greek form of this phrase allows for several meanings.  There is no preposition here in the Greek, and in such cases the preposition is determined by the case of the noun—which here has several possibilities, all of which seem appropriate to the context.  If the case of ‘heart’ is taken as an instrumental of cause, the idea is that our hearts cause us to sin and make melody to God.  As an instrumental of means, the idea is that our hearts are the channels through which we sing praises.  As a locative, the idea is that the singing is centered in our hearts.”

 

            The Spirit-filled believer sings from his heart as his heart is where his songs originate from, but a person who is not a believer cannot sing from his heart, only from his lips.  I mentioned about whether angels sing or not and the reason why people believe that they do not sing goes along with what we have just stated, that is a person has to be born-again, to be saved from his sins in order to be able to truly sing to the Lord.

 

            In John MacArthur commentary he once again gets into what kind of music is suitable for believers to sing, and as stated in an earlier SD I have my opinion on what kind of music believers should listen to and sing, and others have their own idea.  There are pros and cons for each side of the argument.  I have listened to a couple of DVD’s that originated from Israel believers and their singing and playing of musical instruments gets pretty loud and there are also some dancing to the Lord in these DVD’s. I have to say that this appealed to me as I watched and listened to this and before looking at this on the DVD I had bought a CD of the music and it is one of my favorite CD’s that I own.

 

            I have to say that some of the Christian “Rock” music seems a bit too much for me and although it does appeal to younger people, of which I am not, there seems to me to have some red flags arise as I listen to some of it.

 

            We have one more sub-section to look at and Lord willing will do it tomorrow.

 

7/23/2019 10:30 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment