Monday, July 22, 2019

How Do Believer's Sing (Eph. 5:19)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/22/2019 10:24 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  How do Believers Sing?

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Ephesians 4:19

 

            Message of the verses:  19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord;”

 

            When believers are filled with the Holy Spirit they will fulfill what is written in verse 19.  The word “speaking” from this verse includes any sound offered to God from a Spirit-filled heart.  MacArthur adds “The music from an organ or choir is no more acceptable to God than the sounds of a guitar or home-made flute.  The sound that pleases Him is the sound that comes as a result of a heart submissive to His Spirit and that sings or plays to His glory.”

 

            When we see the word Psalms it refers mostly to the Old Testament Psalms that are put to music, however the term was also used of vocal music of any sort including solos and anthems.  I mentioned in our last SD that the early church and even some churches today used the Psalter put to music for their worship services.  This is not as prevalent in our churches today.  In studying the Psalms I can see that they bring glory to the Lord which is what our singing and worship is to do.

 

            When we look at the word “hymns” it speaks of songs other than that came from the Psalter which exalted God. MacArthur adds “Many biblical scholars believe that various New Testament passages (such as Col. 1:12-16) were used as hymns in the early church.  ‘Spiritual songs’ were probably songs of testimony that covered a broad category that included any music expressing spiritual truth.”

 

            More from MacArthur:  “In the church today we could classify renditions of Psalms 23 and 84 as psalms, ‘A Mighty Fortress is Our God’ and ‘The Old Rugged Cross’ as hymns and ‘O How He Loves You and Me’ and ‘I’d Rather have Jesus’ as ‘spiritual songs.’  The intent of the writer here, however, is simply to give latitude for all kinds of musical expression to exalt the Lord.”  Martian Luther is who wrote “A Might Fortress is Our God” and that songs comes from the 46th Psalm.  He would often say to his partner in ministry “Let us sing Psalm 46.”

 

            The word “singing” is from ado and this simply means to sing with the voice.  However in the New Testament it is always used in relation to praising God as seen also in Col. 3:16; Rev. 5:9; 14:3; 15:3.

 

            I have never had a good voice for singing, however when I sing praises to the Lord I believe that the Lord hears me singing in a better voice than I sing with here on earth. 

 

            MacArthur adds “Psallo (‘making melody’) is related to the term from which we get psalm and literally means to pluck on a stringed instrument, particularly a harp, with the fingers.  The word, however, come to represent the making of an instrumental music.  The Spirit-filled heart expresses itself in any sort of vocal or instrumental music, in both ‘singing and making melody.’”

 

            I want to close this section with Hebrews 2:12 “He says, "I will declare your name to my brothers; in the presence of the congregation I will sing your praises’” (NIV).  This verse tells us that one day we will hear the Lord sing to us.  I am looking forward to that very much.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Singing is good for the soul, and I have always enjoyed good music, and since I became a believer I enjoy different kinds of music that brings honor to the Lord.  Gospel music has always appealed to me.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Humility is still something that the Lord is teaching me.

 

Psalm 51:10 is the verse that goes with Billy Sunday’s quotation from yesterday:  “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast Spirit within me.”

 

7/22/2019 10:53 AM

 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment