Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Intro to Eph. 5:18b-21


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/9/2019 10:10 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                            Focus:  Intro to Eph. 5:18b-21

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Eph. 5:18b-21

 

            Message of the verses:  but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father;”

 

            As many know we are looking at the book of Ephesians by following the outline from John MacArthur’s commentary and as we begin this section today it comes under the chapter title “Be Filled with the Spirit—PT-1.  I have to say that one of the reasons that I use MacArthur’s commentaries to help me work through different books of the Bible is because he digs deep into the Scripture to help me to better understand what is in the Word or God, and then I am able to place what I learn onto my blogs in order for the Holy Spirit of God to use to bring glory to my Lord Jesus Christ.

 

            MacArthur begins his introductory comments by writing “Apart from the truth in verse 18, which is the heart of Paul’s message, the book of Ephesians would appear to be legalistic.”  I have to say that although this though has not entered into my mind, after reading this quote I have to say that it makes sense to me.  Legalism is something that the Pharisees had along with the rest of the religious leaders during the time when our Lord walked on planet earth and He was not too happy with them.  MacArthur goes on “Every exhortation he gives would have to be fulfilled through the power of the flesh.  Believers would need to rely on their own resources and strength to follow the great road map of the Christian life that the apostle presents in chapters 4-6—and would, of course, find themselves completely deficient. Christians cannot walk in humility, unity, separation, light, love, and wisdom apart from the energizing of the Holy Spirit.  To walk without the Spirit is to walk unwisely and foolishly (see vv. 15-17).  We can ‘be imitators of God, as beloved children’ (5:1) only as we are filled with the Spirit (cf. John 15:5).

 

            As we look at Ephesians 5:18-21 we see that Paul first presents the contrast of the way of the flesh with the way of the Spirit.  MacArthur concludes that what we just looked at over the last 12 days is “the way of the flesh is characterized by the pagan religion out of which many of the Ephesian believers had come, a religion that centered around drunken, immoral orgies of supposed ecstasy, in which a person tried to progressively elevate himself into communion with the gods. It is the way of self, pride, immorality, greed, idolatry, confusion, deception, fantasy, falsehood, and even demonism.  It is the way of darkness and foolishness (see 5:3-17).

 

            “In vv. 18b-21 the apostle gives the other side of the contrast—the godly walk of God’s children that expresses itself in the Spirit-controled life and worship of beauty and holiness.  He first gives the central command of the epistle (which is the focal point of the New Testament for believers) and follows it with an outline of the consequences of obedience to the command.

 

            In our next SD, Lord willing, we will begin to look at the first main point “The Command,” which will have many sub-sections.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  As I think about the filling of the Holy Spirit I am coming to realize that just as MacArthur points out that it is how I as a believer can get things done for the Lord, things that I believe He has set aside for me to do, and all believers in eternity past.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Humility is something very important when it comes to being filled with the Spirit, for I have to set self aside, along with pride in order to do the things that God has planned for me to do.

 

Today’s quotation is from C. S. Lewis “I do not know how much you ought to give.  I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare.”

 

7/9/2019 10:39 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment