Wednesday, November 13, 2019

PT-1 "The Manner of Prayer" (Eph. 6:18)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/13/2019 9:54 AM

My Worship Time                                                                Focus:  PT-2 “The Manner of Prayer”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Eph. 6:18

            Message of the verse:  With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints,”

            I suppose that not all believers are consistent in their prayers to the Lord unless something happens to them or to a loved one, and then they will pray intently, specifically, and persistently.  Paul tells Timothy that he is praying for him both night and day, and I have noticed that in some of the Psalms that I am teaching that praying in the night hours is something the Psalmists do.

            I have to agree with John MacArthur who states that most problems that believers have are spiritual problems, so that is where we as believers will spend much of our time praying about.  Paul, in this section we have been looking at writes about the need to have our spiritual armor on, and so that will protect us from the spiritual things that are going on in our lives, and then he moves into how we are to pray for those spiritual issues.  Paul’s context in this section on prayer is to pray for spiritual protection as spiritual warfare is his subject here.  John MacArthur writes “Our deepest prayers for our spouse, our children, our brothers and sisters, our fellow church members, our pastor, our missionaries, and all others would be that they win the spiritual battle against Satan.  Examining the prayers of Paul throughout his epistles yields the insight that he prayed for the spiritual well-being of the people of God.”  Examples of Paul’s prayers can be found in 1 Cor. 1:4-7; Phil. 1:9-11; Col. 1:9-11; 2Thes. 1:11-12.

            In MacArthur’s commentary he quotes something from an older saint that he prayed to God:

“O Lord, in prayer I launch far out into the eternal world, and on that broad ocean my soul triumphs over all evils and on the shores of mortality.  Time, with its amusements and cruel disappointments, never appears so inconsiderate as then.  In prayer, O God, I see myself as nothing.  I find my heart going after Thee with intensity, and I long with vehement thirst to live with Thee. Blessed be the strong winds of the Spirit that speed me on my way to the New Jerusalem.  In prayer all things here below vanish and nothing seems important but holiness of heart and the salvation of others.  In prayer all my worldly cares and fears and anxieties disappear and are as little in significance as a puff of wind.  In prayer my soul inwardly exalts with thoughts of what Thou are doing for Thy church, and I long that Thou shouldst get Thyself a great name from sinners returning to Thee.  In prayer I am lifted above the frowns and flatteries of life to taste the heavenly joys.  Entering into the eternal world I can give myself to Thee with all my heart forever.  In prayer I can place all my concerns in Thy hands to be entirely at Thy disposal, having no will or interest of my own.  In prayer I can intercede for my friends, ministers, sinners, the church, Thy kingdom, with greatest freedom and brightest hope as a son to his Father and as a lover to his beloved.  And so, O God, help me to pray always and never cease.”

Lord willing we will have three more SD’s from the book of Ephesians.  We began 13 months ago this day and I can say that there have been many blessings that I have received from this very difficult study.  I received four commentaries from Grace To You yesterday on the book of Matthew.  The study of Matthew is something that I look forward to as it will cover once again the life of our Lord while on earth.  It has been many years since I studied this first of the gospels, and so I look forward to that study which will begin in a few days, Lord willing.

Today’s short quotation from “Love in Action” is from Job 11:6:

Know therefore that God exacts from you less than your iniquity deserves.

Job 11:6

11/13/2019 10:31 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment