Friday, November 8, 2019

PT-3 "Intro To Ephesians 6:18-24


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/8/2019 11:55 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  PT-3 “Intro to Eph. 6:18-24”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Eph. 6:18-24

            Message of the verses:  18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.19 And pray for me, too. Ask God to give me the right words so I can boldly explain God’s mysterious plan that the Good News is for Jews and Gentiles alike. 20 I am in chains now, still preaching this message as God’s ambassador. So pray that I will keep on speaking boldly for him, as I should. 21 To bring you up to date, Tychicus will give you a full report about what I am doing and how I am getting along. He is a beloved brother and faithful helper in the Lord’s work. 22 I have sent him to you for this very purpose-to let you know how we are doing and to encourage you. 23 Peace be with you, dear brothers and sisters, and may God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you love with faithfulness. 24 May God’s grace be eternally upon all who love our Lord Jesus Christ” (NLT)

            John MacArthur tells a story that I want to pass on here.  “Each time his team loses a game, a well-known professional football coach tells the players in the locker room afterward:  ‘Gentlemen, I told you how to win.  You didn’t do what I told you, and you lost.’  Just like an athlete, a Christian can gave great skills, the best training, the best equipment, and a good understanding of what he is supposed to do—and yet fail because he does not follow instructions.  If a football player does poorly when he fails to follow his coach, how much worse does a Christian fare when he fails to follow His Lord?”

            I remember years ago that I watched Billy Graham preach to a crowd in the western part of the country of Canada.  He was talking about how difficult it was to live in a society with all of the “stuff” that the peoples of Canada and the United States have.  It is a great distraction to have the things that believers have access to in our world today.  We can become dependent upon these things and not depend on the Lord.  We have to trust in the God who gives us gifts and not on the gifts that God has given to us. 

            John MacArthur writes “Ephesians begins by lifting us up to the heavenlies, and ends by pulling us down to our knees.  ‘Don’t think,’ Paul concludes, in effect, ‘that because you have all these blessings and resources that you can now live the Christian life without further help from God.’  God’s armor is neither mechanical nor magical.  We cannot simply take hold of it on our own and expect it automatically to produce supernatural feats.  If James Russell Lowell’s eloquent saying, ‘The gift without the giver is bare,’ is true in human relationships, it is immeasurably truer in our relationship to God.  Our divine gifts—marvelous as they are—are bare without the divine Giver.

            “In the closing verse of this letter Paul first gives believers some general instruction about prayer, then a specific illustration of prayer, and finally a benediction.”  I look forward in looking at this section, especially the parts about prayer.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am always thankful for learning more about prayer as sometimes I can get the wrong focus in my prayer life.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I have to think that prayer is an important part of humility.

David Jeremiah comments on Job 2:11-13 in our quotation from “Love in Action.

“There’s probably no better salve you can pour on a hurting person’s wounds than genuine tears.  These friends sat down with Job and wept.  And then (the wisest thing they did) they kept quiet for seven days.  For seven days and seven nights they sat without saying a word.  Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar came allegedly to comfort Job, to encourage him.  But they were lousy encouragers.  Actually, Job used the word “miserable” (that’s Old Testament for lousy).”

11/8/2019 12:21 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment