Friday, February 28, 2020

PT-2 "Calling Peter and Andrew" (Matt. 4:18-22)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/28/2020 9:53 AM

My Worship Time                                                          Focus:  PT-2 “Calling Peter and Andrew”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Matt. 4:18-20

            18 And walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. 19 And He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." 20 And they immediately left the nets, and followed Him.”

            The call that Jesus gives is for Peter and Andrew to bear fruit through evangelism, and that call is given to everyone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior, for the called ones are to be the callers.  I remember when Jesus Christ saved me in 1974 and after I got back home from Florida to Ohio I wanted to tell others about what happened to me while I was in Florida.  I rode my motorcycle with a number of other men and I remember talking to one of the guys wife about Jesus Christ and she accepted the Lord as her Lord and Savior.  I then talked to her husband and told him all that happened to me and I stated what a change that it made in my heart, but he was not interested.  Later on the couple divorced and I have pretty much lost track of them because they moved to Florida, although I had heard that the wife was still following the Lord.  The point in this story is that once you become a believer you want to tell others about that experience because of the love you have for the Lord who saved you.  Peter later on wrote “But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;” (1 Peter 2:9).  John MacArthur writes “Christ mandates that all of His followers be ‘fishermen.’  The command ‘follow Me’ (in the Greek and adverb of place expressing a command) literally means ‘come here.’  The term after is used in the original to show the place they are to come:  ‘Your place is following after Me!’”

            In John MacArthur’s sermon and in his commentary he tells the story of an Italian man who was found dead in his house.  People went into his house and found 246 expensive violins which he had bought and kept.  None of the violins were played they just sat there in boxes never played for the enjoyment of others to hear.  It is reported that 95% of believers never tell others about how they were saved, as they are just like the un-played violins, never making the beautiful music of the gospel.  He writes It is even reported that the first violin the great Stradivarius ever made was not played until it was 147 years old!”

            MacArthur writes “When D. L. Moody once visited an art gallery in Chicago he was especially impressed by a painting called ‘The Rock of Ages.’  The picture showed a person with both hands clinging to a cross firmly embedded in a rock.  While the stormy sea smashed against the rock, he hung tightly to the cross.  Years later Mr. Moody saw a similar picture.  This one also showed a person in a storm holding to a cross, but with one hand he was reaching out to someone who was about to drown.  The great evangelist commented that, thought the first painting was beautiful, the second was even lovelier.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  The phrase “let you light shine” is what believers are supposed to do.  We are not to hide our light but to shine it, similar to playing music on expensive violins. 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  It is my desire and it will probably be my desire to learn humility for the rest of my life as it will never be perfected, but hopefully improved.  It is also my desire to receive joy from the Holy Spirit as I study His Word.

2/28/2020 10:25 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment