Monday, February 3, 2020

PT-3 "The Preparation" (Matt. 4:1-2)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/3/2020 10:26 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  PT-3 “The Preparation” 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matt. 4:1-2

            Message of the verses:  1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted there by the devil. 2 For forty days and forty nights he fasted and became very hungry.”

            When we look we look at the word temptation it is from the Greek word “peirazo” and this word is neutral, and what I mean about this is that when Jesus was being tempted by the devil that was not for good, but the same word can mean that God is testing us, and the scriptural context clearly indicates the testing is an enticement to evil which is surely what Satan had in mind.  I am not sure about this but I believe that this was also a testing from God, and He knew for sure that His Son would past the test.  This temptation by Satan was surely not a surprise to God, as it was part of His plan for His Son.

            God will often use Satan’s tempting to evil as His own means of testing for good.  Satan’s plan for Jesus was to lead Him into sin and disobedience, and the Father used it to demonstrate the Son’s holiness and worthiness.  This is God’s plan for all of His children.  MacArthur writes “Christians cannot be tempted in a way that God cannot use for their good and His glory.  James even tells us to ‘consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials [peirasmos], knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing’ (James 1:2-4).  That is God’s plan and purpose—to Satan’s temptations as a means of testing and strengthening our faith in Him and our growing stronger in righteousness.  God allows testing to our lives in order that our spiritual ‘muscles’ may be exercised and strengthened.  Whether the testing is by God’s initiative or is sent by Satan, God will always use it to produce good in us when we meet the test in His power.”

            According to James 1:13 and 14 which we will look at, God never tests in the sense of enticing to evil “13 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone. 14 But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust.”  MacArthur explains “All five of the forms of ‘to tempt’ in those verses are from peirazo, and all five indicate the negative side of testing, the inducement to evil.  God never has a part in the sort of testing, but He can and will turn even the worst sort of testing into the right sort, when it is surrendered to His will and power.  It is God’s great desire to turn into victory what Satan intends for failure, to strengthen us at the very point where the adversary wants to find us weak.”

            Think for a moment of when Joseph’s brothers sold him into slavery, something that was certainly sinful for them to do, something that they felt bad about it as they had to keep this news from their father Jacob for many, many years.  And yet we read the following in Genesis 50:20 “"As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive.”  Here we see in a nutshell what we have been talking about as Joseph’s brothers meant it for harm to him, but in God’s overall plan He made it work out for good as we see in Romans 8:28 “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”

            It is believed that before the temptations that Satan imposed on Jesus that He was in the wilderness fasting for forty days, so Jesus became weak in His body.  I want to say something about fasting as I have done it a number of times.  The first time I fasted it was for a week or so, and this happened right after I retired from my job in 1999.  I was 52 years old at that time and it was my desire to find out what the Lord wanted me to do after retiring.  I studied about fasting for weeks before I decided to do the fast.  I spent the time in my future son-in-laws father’s cabin in the woods in Michigan.  My mind was as sharp as it ever was as I was reading a book by Charles Swindoll.  How I prepared for this fast was to slow down my eating from three meals a day to two means a day and then one meal a day and then the only thing that I had was water while I was fasting.  I can tell you that I became weak, very weak while on this fast, but it was worth it to me.  Now I did this once again some years ago when I fasted for 22 day, and after the first week I had one class of tomato juice per day along with water to drink.  This fast was more of a fast to lose some weight, and it was different because I had much more energy, and I suppose that was because of the juice I drank each day.  Fasting can be boring if it is not done for a purpose and the reason I say this is because we spend a lot of time each day in eating, drinking, having snacks, preparing our meals and cleaning up after each meal, and when you fast you do none of these things.

            It is my belief that Jesus did drink water while on His fast, for man cannot live long without water and if this was done in a supernatural way then what good would that do for man?  I have read of people fasting for as long as 90 day, on nothing but water.  Once you are done fasting you will become hungry, for when you are fasting you are not at all hungry after three days.  In my case I was not hungry from the start because of how I prepared for the fast.  Once you become hungry after fasting it is time to eat and we read that after the 40 days that Jesus became hungry and then He had to eat something or it would be called a starvation fast, not eating after you became hungry.  This is what I believe about Jesus’ fast because of my study and because I have done it myself, not for forty days but for long enough to learn what it is about.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  It is my desire to do another fast some day and I pray that the Lord will guide me into when and where I should do this.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to continue to show me how to defeat temptation from Satan and by like Jesus and not fall into temptation, to continue to learn humility, and to continue to seek to have joy as I study His Word.

2/3/2020 11:23 AM



No comments:

Post a Comment